• 06-18-2010, 06:24 PM
    Collins
    accessories..where to begin?
    Being new to photography, I was wondering if someone might point me in the right direction in terms of accessories to buy? I plan to purchase the canon xsi. I know I need a bag, but which one? I know I need another lenses beside the 18-55mm, but which one? Extra battery? Filters? I see kits offered but some folks say there junk. So much to know, so little time!

Thanks for any help you might be able to provide.
  • 06-18-2010, 10:20 PM
    Frog
    Re: accessories..where to begin?
    If you are talking ebay kits, the stuff that usually comes in the kits is junk.
    What other lens you might need, depends on what type photography you are doing.

Bags are sort of a personal choice and there is a huge variety. Me...I use an insulated luch bag most of the time.

I don't know how well the Canon batteries last but they are probably similar to Nikons.
    The battery in my D80 lasts a long time. If you are shooting a lot of pictures all day long, you might need another or if you are traveling and won't be able to recharge easily.

One accessory everyone needs is a good tripod and head.

The one filter needed is a good circular polarizer. Hoya multi-coated, B+H, porbably others make good filters. Buy the best one you can afford or you'll just be putting bad glass in front of good. If you will be doing landscapes, you might want some neutral density.
    Whatever filters you get, just get one of that type. The largest you think you'll ever need and then use adapters to fit your other lenses.

Welcome to the forums. Come back with any questions you have and then share your work.
  • 06-18-2010, 11:16 PM
    Anbesol
    I think the 50mm f/1.8 is almost a mandatory lens purchase, that suits the widest variety of photography needs, and the best cost to quality ratio you can get in a lens, bar none. Its about $90, I personally try to use my 50mm at least 50% of the time, and its also the cheapest glass in my bag.

I'd also advise getting a body only camera, and replacing the kit 18-55 with Tamron's 17-50 f/2.8. Its a lot faster than the kit, and the 1mm wide gain is more significant than the 5mm telephoto loss. You'd save $100 on the kit, and the Tamron costs some $420, but well worth it. I made the mistake of getting a kit lens way back, its now a dust collector/paper weight.

That said, I'd still venture to say the 50mm is a more important lens than the Tamron, especially if portraiture is a focus of yours.

As far as bags go - do what suits you. For me, I love my Pelican, well worth the $150 I payed. I take my gear everywhere, I can be as abusive with the case as I want, I can drop it from a two story building, run over it, submerge it under water, and whats inside is SAFE. I wouldn't even bother looking elsewhere for a bag. But, its not exactly handy for hiking/biking/etc.
  • 06-19-2010, 05:39 PM
    Collins
    Frog and Anbesol-

Very helpful. Thank you very much for your reply. As I said, so much to learn and i'm swimming in information. I just want to begin with the basics that I need, opposed to what so many sales people wish to sell me.

Cheers,
    Collins
  • 06-21-2010, 08:26 AM
    JamesV
    You already got some good help.

I would say to get a camera bag for now that fits what you have, camera and kit lens. Once you had that and start shooting you will start to see what you are missing then pick up those items as you see fit.

I would say memory cards should be on the to get list. Maybe a few 4gb cards or (2) 8gb cards. You never want to just rely on one card while you are out. If something happens to that card then the rest of your day is ruined.

What is your main focus to take pictures of? That will help in generating a list of items all by itself.

Have fun and post some pictures when you get your XSi.

James
  • 06-23-2010, 04:08 PM
    straightarm
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Collins
    Being new to photography, I was wondering if someone might point me in the right direction in terms of accessories to buy? I plan to purchase the canon xsi. I know I need a bag, but which one? I know I need another lenses beside the 18-55mm, but which one? Extra battery? Filters? I see kits offered but some folks say there junk. So much to know, so little time!

Thanks for any help you might be able to provide.

Don't buy anything else at first

Start by taking pictures with the kit lens; Only, when you come to situations where that won't allow you to take the shots you want, should you think about what you should buy next. Those next purchases should be the kit to take those pictures.

For some people it might be a flash, for others a longer lens. but only you can make that decision.