Digital SLR Cameras Forum

Digital SLRs Forum Discuss digital SLRs, lenses, RAW conversion, or anything else related to digital SLRs. You may also want to see the Nikon, Canon, and Sony camera forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital SLR Reviews >>
Digital SLR Buyer's Guide >>

Which 3rd Party Lens?

I have decided to purchase a Canon 50d. Do I get the kit lens or do I just buy the body and purchase seperate lenses? Which third party? Sigma, Tamron, other?

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

Re: Which 3rd Party Lens?

First, what are you shooting?
    Second, when you say,"the lens", which lens are you talking about?
    Third, what is your budget like?

Many third party lenses are as good or nearly as good as those by the manufacturer and some aren't so good.
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

Mostly, I will be shooting small product in a 32" lightbox (should I use a macro for this or a prime)? The product will be about the size of a ladies purse. I do plan on other pictures later such as people, animals, humming birds, etc. Right now,my budget is tight.
    Last edited by flintlock62; 05-25-2010 at 10:39 AM.

Kit Lens

Simple product photography in the studio is pretty straightforward and doesn't require any special lenses. I would recommend just buying the kit and using that lens until it gets in the way. At that point you'll have a better idea of what you need to upgrade to, as well.

I actually think the 50D is overkill for studio product photography. Most of the 50D's important features benefit outdoor and action photographers. They won't make any difference at all in the studio. I would recommend buying an XSi / 450D kit, instead. I had a 50D as welll as an XSi and I used the XSi in the studio a lot more than I used the 50D. In fact, I'm still using the XSi in the studio - no reason not to. If you look at the pro reviews here on the site, most of those product photos were taken with the XSi and Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 lens. That's my standard studio setup.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Re: Kit Lens

Quote Originally Posted by Photo-John
    Simple product photography in the studio is pretty straightforward and doesn't require any special lenses. I would recommend just buying the kit and using that lens until it gets in the way. At that point you'll have a better idea of what you need to upgrade to, as well.

I actually think the 50D is overkill for studio product photography. Most of the 50D's important features benefit outdoor and action photographers. They won't make any difference at all in the studio. I would recommend buying an XSi / 450D kit, instead. I had a 50D as welll as an XSi and I used the XSi in the studio a lot more than I used the 50D. In fact, I'm still using the XSi in the studio - no reason not to. If you look at the pro reviews here on the site, most of those product photos were taken with the XSi and Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 lens. That's my standard studio setup.

Yes, I realize a 50D is over kill, but I do want a camera for actions shots. Maybe I should just buy the cheaper camera and buy a better one when I have more money. Or, maybe I should buy what I really want in the first place. Decisions, decisions.

Quote Originally Posted by flintlock62
    Yes, I realize a 50D is over kill, but I do want a camera for actions shots. Maybe I should just buy the cheaper camera and buy a better one when I have more money. Or, maybe I should buy what I really want in the first place. Decisions, decisions.
    I've used the XSi for plenty of action shots, too. Here's a gallery with some of my XSi photos, including a photo action photos:

Photo-John's Canon EOS Rebel XSi Gallery >>

The 50D will give you more speed but overall I don't think it's a whole lot better than the XSi. Frankly, I was a little disappointed in the 50D after the 40D. The EOS 7D is a completely different story. I love that camera! But if you're just getting started, it's a reasonable strategy to save money on the body, invest in better glass, and work on your technique. I think the XSi would be a fine place to get started.
    Photo-John

Quote Originally Posted by Photo-John
    I've used the XSi for plenty of action shots, too. Here's a gallery with some of my XSi photos, including a photo action photos:

Photo-John's Canon EOS Rebel XSi Gallery >>

The 50D will give you more speed but overall I don't think it's a whole lot better than the XSi. Frankly, I was a little disappointed in the 50D after the 40D. The EOS 7D is a completely different story. I love that camera! But if you're just getting started, it's a reasonable strategy to save money on the body, invest in better glass, and work on your technique. I think the XSi would be a fine place to get started.
    Good advise. I admit I am a novice and need help and guidance.

I admit I am a novice and need help and guidance.
    We've got plenty of that here
    Photo-John

One other thing, should I use a filter, and what?

One other thing, should I use a filter, and what?
    Can't think of a reason to use a filter for product photography but might be useful in other situations.
    Different filters have different uses.
    Circular polarizers and neutral density are needed at times.
    Get the biggest one you'll ever need use adaptors for smaller lenses.
    Don't skimp on filters. Your putting something in front of your expensive glass.
    Keep Shooting!

Quote Originally Posted by Frog
    Can't think of a reason to use a filter for product photography but might be useful in other situations.
    Different filters have different uses.
    Circular polarizers and neutral density are needed at times.
    Get the biggest one you'll ever need use adaptors for smaller lenses.
    Don't skimp on filters. Your putting something in front of your expensive glass.
    Thanks, Frog. I did not think I needed a filter. I did use clear filters when I had a film camera, just to protect the lens.

Some still use uv or clear filters but there is rather a debat over their usefullness in protecting a lens. Lens hoods usually do a good enough job unless you are in sandy/windy conditions.
    Think about how much technology and science went into grinding that precision glass for your lens. Why put something over it and expect as sharp of a picture.
    Necessary sometimes but I've learned from here and other research...don't buy cheap filters. Just going to degrade your photos.
    Keep Shooting!

Just a quick input on the filter side of things. I would most definitely put a clear filter on the front of your lenses. I use Hoya S-HMC UV filters and have had great luck with them.
    Here is a link to the B&H page for them (keep in mind this link is to the 67mm filter, you'll need to find the right size for your camera)

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...V_0_Super.html

(I'm not sure why the link says photography review but it still takes you to B&H)
    Feel free to edit my images, just let me know what you did.

Nikon D90 w/18-105 VR, 70-300VR, 35mm f1.8G &Tamron 10-24 f3.5-4.5
    Nikon SB-600 Speedlight (x2) w/ Gary Fong 1/2 Cloud Light Sphere (x2) and 1 Cloud
    Slik Pro 700DX tripod w/Vanguard SBH-200 ball-head
    Panasonic ZS8

My photo's:
    http://s1227.photobucket.com/albums/...20Photography/

Thread Information