Digital SLR Cameras Forum

Digital SLRs Forum Discuss digital SLRs, lenses, RAW conversion, or anything else related to digital SLRs. You may also want to see the Nikon, Canon, and Sony camera forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital SLR Reviews >>
Digital SLR Buyer's Guide >>

From 35mm SLR to Digital SLR

Right now i have my parents old Konica Minolta 35mm SLR camera, love it to death, but i think its time to upgrade. dont know much about the camera, but i love it. i'm looking used, as i dont have that much to spend. or like a really cheap camera at a store.

1. Canon Digital Rebel(300D) with 2 batteries, charger, Tamron 28-80mm F3.5-4.5 lense, 1GB Compact Flash memory card and a Lowepro camera bag.
    NOTE: the guy said 300$, so i said 350$ if you come to my area, and he said okay.

2. Samsung GX 1L, comes complete with the camera body, an 18-55mm lens, a 70-300mm lens, a shutter release cable, an IR remote control, and clear filters on both lens to protect them. Includes a 2 gb mem card.
    NOTE: 450$ right beside my town, so no biggie, but it runs on 4 AA's, so i'd have to carry like 27 million AA's with me.

3. Canon Rebel XT/350D with Hoya 58mm UV filter,1 GB Compact Flash card, Canon RC-1 wireless remote control (shutter release), Lowepro TLZ Mini soft padded camera bag
    NOTE: 450$, guy hasn't emailed me back yet.

4. Cannon XT Digital SLR with 55mm lense, includes 2 memory cards and the hardware.
    NOTE: emailed the guy, hasn't emailed me back. dunno what size mem cards are.

Shooting: It's gunna be like landscape shots, and then shots of bmx'ers and stuff like that when i go biking. also used for skiing.

so yeah, i dont know much, looking for enlightenment.
    option 1 seems pretty promising, and so does option 2.

hope i did everything right.

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

Re: From 35mm SLR to Digital SLR

Welcome to the site. I'm not familiar with the Samsung so I can't be of any help there. I shot with the Original Rebel 300D for 4 years, and I thought it was a pretty great camera. The noise was too much for me past ISO 200, and the small buffer and slow write speeds drove me nuts at times too. Other than that, I thought it was a good camera.

The XT will be better in both of the areas that the 300D fell short for me. It will give you better high ISO performance, and a larger buffer and faster write speeds. I think it's a higher resolution too, although that's not a big deal. (I made 20x30 prints with the 300D.) There are some other improvements that the XT has too that would make me opt for that body over the 300D if I was starting from scratch. One reason I never upgraded to the XT was because it's smaller than the 300D. For you, that may be a good thing if you plan on taking it biking. For me, it felt too small.

Hope that helps a little.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

both options 3 and 4 have 18-55mm lens.

wat about a Pentax d-slr, the k100d? i found one for 350 with Pentax 18-55 mm kit lens , Hoya UV filter, 100 FREE 5x7 prints from Blacks.
    also found other ones.

option 5: Canon Rebel XT EF-S 18-55mm kit lens, RC-1 wireless remote, Magic Lantern Guide for $350. with this i need to buy a memory card, which i dont think is a big deal.

option 6: Rebel XT w 18-55mm lens, 2GB Compact Flash Card, Canon Bag, Lowepro Bag, Boxes + Manuals, 1 battery pack for $400.

Look into Sonys DSLR line - your Minolta Lens will work on it. Check out the Sony A200 and A300. Which Minolta lens do you have presently?

this is all it tells me:
    AF Zoom 28-80
    0.38/1.3ft macro
    A 28-80/3.5-5.6

Thread Information