300D question

Printable View

• 02-21-2004, 10:29 AM
    paulnj
    300D question
    I received a phone call from a guy i know yesterday. he wanted to rent my 1D again because.....

HIS SECOND DIGITAL REBEL took tilted images on the copy stand too!! :mad:

he stated that when he frames with the camera the image in the viewfinder is straight, yet the image files are crooked!!

is it possible that the sensors on them could be or are crooked?

has anyone experienced or heard of this problem?

disclaimer...

i've not seen these files, but the man in question has been making his living from photography for many years(he can operate a camera on a copy stand)

bottom line...... $40 a day to sit on a copy stand instead of in my bag works for me!!!!
  • 02-21-2004, 11:28 PM
    Sebastian
    Paul,

Heard of this before. A guy had a D100 replaced and his new one took tilted shots. Apparently the sensor can be installed a bit off kilter. Given the size of the sensor, it is pretty easy to no see the tilt when it's being installed, but the files would show it.

Do you rent long glass...? :D
  • 04-12-2004, 11:11 PM
    mikishots
    Tilted sensor?
    Quote:

Originally Posted by paulnj
    I received a phone call from a guy i know yesterday. he wanted to rent my 1D again because.....

HIS SECOND DIGITAL REBEL took tilted images on the copy stand too!! :mad:

he stated that when he frames with the camera the image in the viewfinder is straight, yet the image files are crooked!!

is it possible that the sensors on them could be or are crooked?

has anyone experienced or heard of this problem?

disclaimer...

i've not seen these files, but the man in question has been making his living from photography for many years(he can operate a camera on a copy stand)

bottom line...... $40 a day to sit on a copy stand instead of in my bag works for me!!!!

Yes, my DReb does this too, but I've discovered what it is...if you align your horizon, grid pattern or whatever using the focus points as a register line, the image may be tilted. Mine tilts clockwise about two degrees. However, if I align the horizon or grid pattern square to the frame edges and NOT the focus points, the image is dead straight. The sensor and the viewfinder are aligned, but they may not be according to the focus points. Now when I take shots, I ignore the focus points and use the perimeter of the viewfinder as my guide. I figured if I want more than this, I should spend more. I'm just happy with the images this camera can produce and have decided not to stress over things that I didn't expect. Remember, these points are provided to show you where the focus will occur - they aren't there to show the exact levelness of the composition, although they should be fairly close!
  • 04-17-2004, 10:17 PM
    Lionheart
    Yes, one of my 10D's has this problem
    It's very slight, but definitely off kilter. I can live with it, especially with Canon USA's sterling reputation for repairing and returning consumer level equipment to consumer level customers in a very expeditious manner ;) Only took 'em 3 months to fix our old D30 for a lousy color balance problem-pretty quick eh?
  • 04-18-2004, 05:25 AM
    paulnj
    that is rediculous!!!!!!!