• 12-14-2004, 12:40 AM
    tomar10
    20D and 70-200 F4 L Lens Backfocus issue??
    Hi,

I am a photography enthusiast. I have ordered a 20D with the basic kit lens and I can only afford to get one more lens with it right now.

I was thinking about the 70-200 F4 to go with it as the first lens. But then I read the following article which does not recommend this lens with a digital body(10D in particular) as soft images result because of backfocus. Link below:

http://emedia.leeward.hawaii.edu/fra...f70-200usm.htm

Does anybody know if this is the case with 20D too. Also is this the right first lens to get. I would appreciate your comments.
  • 12-14-2004, 11:57 AM
    Trevor Ash
    Re: 20D and 70-200 F4 L Lens Backfocus issue??
    Here's the deal....

Some lenses, but not all, will have focusing problems with some cameras, but not all.

It's not a black and white thing. The lens and camera are great. If it turns out you think you have a problem you can send them both to Canon for repair/adjustment. I've had to do it myself in the past.

Yes, it's a valid concern and it's REAL. The extremes of most arguments come across on the internet which in this case the two extremes are "All canon cameras or lenses have focusing problems" and "the back focus is the newbie photographers fault". Usually, the truth lies in between the extremes.

:)
  • 12-14-2004, 06:43 PM
    tomar10
    Thanks Trevor!! So what do you say is it safe to get this camera-lens combination.

It is a little disconcerting that there could be a issue with this or some other combination. It will be hard to know know that without doing a proper test. And not all of us are well equipped to do so, well to say with a degree of certainty that there is a problem or not.
  • 12-14-2004, 10:54 PM
    Trevor Ash
    Hiya,

I think you should buy this setup with an assumption that there is a small possibility that there could be a problem. You won't really have to do any testing to know if there's a problem or not as you'll know it pretty quickly. If there is a focusing problem, I'm very confident that Canon will fix it for you under warranty. The question is, do you have the time and patience to go through something like that if it's required?

You can always return it I guess if there's a problem.