Digital SLR Cameras Forum

Digital SLRs Forum Discuss digital SLRs, lenses, RAW conversion, or anything else related to digital SLRs. You may also want to see the Nikon, Canon, and Sony camera forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital SLR Reviews >>
Digital SLR Buyer's Guide >>

DSLR for kids and amateur sports

I originally posted this in the sports forum, but it was suggested I repost here. All opinions welcomed

----------------------------------------------

The basics:

First DSLR, come from a P/S background. Have a small boy who's a sports nut like his daddy (think t-ball and mites hockey) and want to get a camera that will allow me to learn/grow as a photographer. I'll prob be shooting a lot around the yard and portraits (baby on the way) but I want to be able to get great action shots when my son is playing ball or on the ice. The LL baseball pics that Old Timer posted are exactly what I hope to be able to produce someday

I am looking mostly at Canon/Nikon (I don't like the feel of the Olympus or Pentax in my hand) and my budget is 700-1000 and somewhat flexible. I have a bunch of gift credit on Amazon so the body and/or first lense might come from there.

These are the cameras I have been playing with at the shop and from the research I have done what I know about them:

Nikon D40/D60 - 3 points AF, No AF Motor, 3 FPS
    Canon XTI with kit lens - 9 points AF, No IS in lens, 3 FPS
    Canon XSI with kit lens - 3.5 FPS, IS lens
    Canon 30D body - 5 FPS, very sturdy.

I have pretty much eliminated the Nikons.

I really like the 5 FPS on the 30D, but have read that the Rebels provide better quality images??

I like both of the Rebels, I'm not sure if the IS lens and 2 MP on the XSI is a large enough upgrade to warrant the added cost.

Maybe I should be looking at bodies anyhow since I am eventually going to be spending some good money on some fast zoom.

I'm hopelessly confused now LOL. Any help GREATLY appreciated thanks!

Nikon D60 kit with 18-55 and 55-200

The best deal in the low-end area (in France anyway) is the Nikon D60 with the two kit lenses. 6 months ago I had twi collegues who said the same thing to me and I sent them off to buy the last examples of the D40 two lens kit and they were delighted. The D60 is even better.

You don't need the features provided by the Canons (3 point focussing is enough). The Canons are still over-priced in this market. Why do you include the 30D on your list?
    Charles

Nikon D800, D7200, Sony RX100m3
    Not buying any more gear this year. I hope

Re: Nikon D60 kit with 18-55 and 55-200

Quote Originally Posted by Franglais
    The best deal in the low-end area (in France anyway) is the Nikon D60 with the two kit lenses. 6 months ago I had twi collegues who said the same thing to me and I sent them off to buy the last examples of the D40 two lens kit and they were delighted. The D60 is even better.

You don't need the features provided by the Canons (3 point focussing is enough). The Canons are still over-priced in this market. Why do you include the 30D on your list?
    The 30D is included since it can shoot 5 FPS and it's on clearance for $700 body only

Re: DSLR for kids and amateur sports

I don't believe you will get much added value out of the XSI over the XTI. The kit lens seems to be basically the same old kit lens of the XSI with a rudimentary IS system added. I don't know if anyone can confirm or deny it, but it seems like the same glass to me. You will probably want a bigger zoom than the kit lens anyway for your purposes, as you mention.

I have an Canon XTI and tried taking some sports shots with the newish and cheapish 55-250 IS lens-- a low-end Canon offering. I quickly discovered its shortcomings. It was slow in focusing, would often focus on the wrong subject, etc. My point is that a good zoom will cost you--- but its value will outlast the camera body. I would save as much of your budget for the lens--- if action is important to you. The other issue is whether you need an extra flash for indoor hockey--- which adds to the overall budget.

Regardless, the XTI blows the point and shoots we had out of the water for taking photos of our toddler son.

The 40D is out of the running. Wife wants smaller scale ;)

I have the XSI in my shopping cart at Amazon (I have 500 in credit there).... am still having doubts (I read about a million posts about focus issues)

Maybe I should just listen to Ken Rockwell and get a Nikon D40 and spend some cash on a nice portrait and fast zoom lens?

Thanks to those that chimed in. I went with the 450d/XSI.

Happy shooting!

Good choice

Quote Originally Posted by VTDivot
    Thanks to those that chimed in. I went with the 450d/XSI.

Happy shooting!
    This is one of several good choices. To reply to filtersweep - from what I've read the 18-55 IS lens (with the 450D) is a major change compared with the non-IS version on the 400D. Canon seemed to have improved it to match the corresponding Nikon lens.

The body+lens kit is important in the low-end packages. The D60+2 lenses or even the D40+2 lenses is really a good buy. So is the 450D with 1 lens. I thought about what you said about the 30D. It's two years old and it only has 8Mpix but (like the 20D it's based on) it still turns out the results and many professionals use it. The major problem is it doesn't come with a kit lens so you're going to have to lash out and buy a lens. If you go to a 17-85 IS that would mean quite a hefty increase in the overall price.
    Charles

Nikon D800, D7200, Sony RX100m3
    Not buying any more gear this year. I hope

Thread Information