• 11-04-2009, 11:51 AM
    Cutchin
    Is 18-54mm zoom considered wide angle?
    New to forum and D-SLR photography. Bought a Rebel XSi kit with 18-54mm lens included. I was thinking I also should have a wide angle lens for landscapes, etc., but got to thinking that the wide angles are like 35mm and less. Therefore I'm wondering if there is any point in buying something called wide angle, since this goes down to 18mm. Suggestions/opinions?

Thanks in advance.

Greg
  • 11-04-2009, 12:21 PM
    OldClicker
    Re: Is 18-54mm zoom considered wide angle?
    Your lens certainly does 'wide angle'. Try it and if it doesn't do what you want, then consider something else.

Also - welcome to the PR Forums. Hope to see some of your shots soon.

TF
  • 11-04-2009, 12:52 PM
    Anbesol
    My goto lens for landscape is a 24-50 f/4. Some people really like super wide angle for landscape, something like 10-24mm, but you will get lots of distortion the wider you go. 18mm is about as wide as it gets before becoming extremely and obviously distorted, meaning straight edges become very rounded.

Sometimes the distortion can be disguised by the scene, other times its overtly obvious. Heres one at 16mm full frame (equivalent to a 10mm on your camera) link

And here is another one at 10mm on APS-C camera link
    The first image is obviously majorly distorted. The second one does not have that overtly distorted look, the objects in the scene disguise the distortion better than a flat ground horizon, but it still is very distorted.

I personally have very little desire to go any wider than 18-24, but some people really like it and find it necessary. So, like clicker said, use it and see if you feel like going wider.
  • 11-04-2009, 02:19 PM
    flyinion
    On the XSi that lens is effectively 28.8mm because of the 1.6 focal length multiplier. At least that's the way I understand the APS-C sensors with the focal length multiplier. I'm fairly new to the DSLR thing myself though so I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm getting this wrong.
  • 11-04-2009, 10:21 PM
    Anbesol
    Sort of right, a 25mm lens is and behaves like a 25mm lens no matter what camera you put it on, but comparing a full frame field of view to an APS-C (1.6) field of view would look like 40mm. Full frame is ideal for landscapes because of the huge difference between them from 10-35mm focal length.
  • 11-05-2009, 05:25 AM
    Franglais
    Let me try to restate what has already been said:

Description = Equivalent on 24x36 film = True focal length on Canon APS-C

Moderate telephoto = 90mm on 24x36 = 55mm on Canon APS-C
    Normal view = 50mm on 24x36 = 31mm on Canon APS-C
    Moderate wide-angle = 28mm on 24x36 = 18mm on Canon APS-C
    Very wide-angle = 16mm on 24x36 = 10mm on Canon APS-C

In other words the 18-55 on your Canon APS-C DSLR is a (moderate) wide-angle to moderate telephoto lens. I find this is enough for walking about. If you wanted something really wide then you would get a 10-22 or similar.

Does that help?
  • 11-08-2009, 07:17 PM
    straightarm
    Use your current lens for a while, and if you find you need something wider, then buy a wider lens, but don't buy a lens just for the sake of it.