Digital SLR Cameras Forum

Digital SLRs Forum Discuss digital SLRs, lenses, RAW conversion, or anything else related to digital SLRs. You may also want to see the Nikon, Canon, and Sony camera forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital SLR Reviews >>
Digital SLR Buyer's Guide >>

Flash for Nikon D-70

Dose any one know of any alternate flashguns to the Nikon SB-600 Speedlight that will work with the Nikon D-70?
    After many years using conventional SLR's I've recently purchased a D-70 and while I'm more than pleased with its general performance I do feel that relying on the in-bulit flash is very limiting particularly when photographing large items such as aircraft compontents indoors.
    I do not need to use a flasgun on a regular basis and therefore I cannot justify the high cost of the Nikon unit, perhaps someone can advise me on a cheaper alternative.

Any help would be appreciated.

Renoair

Le Photographe magazine says..

Quote Originally Posted by Renoair
    Dose any one know of any alternate flashguns to the Nikon SB-600 Speedlight that will work with the Nikon D-70?
    After many years using conventional SLR's I've recently purchased a D-70 and while I'm more than pleased with its general performance I do feel that relying on the in-bulit flash is very limiting particularly when photographing large items such as aircraft compontents indoors.
    I do not need to use a flasgun on a regular basis and therefore I cannot justify the high cost of the Nikon unit, perhaps someone can advise me on a cheaper alternative.

Renoair
    French magazine "Le Photographe" has a long test on "compatible" flashguns for the 20D, D2H and D70 this month. They test the SB800, SB600, Sigma 500T, Sigma 500 Super, Metz 54MZ-4i and Metz 54AF-1 (plus the Canon 580EX).

To sum up briefly - the "compatible" flashes do less well than the Nikon flashes, particularly with the D2H. The results with the Sigma flashes are better than with Metz.

Charles

Re: Flash for Nikon D-70

Renoair
    Thanks for the information after a bit more research and talking over the issue with my local camera store I've 'Bit the bullet' and purchased the Nikon SB-600 and to be fair the initial results are excellant.

Regards.

Renoair

Thanks for the information after a bit more research and talking over the issue with my local camera store I've 'Bit the bullet' and purchased the Nikon SB-600 and to be fair the initial results are excellant.

Regards.

Renoair
    Unfortunately this seems to be the best approach. The magazine article says that the "compatible" suppliers don't have inside information on how the new flash protocols work - they have to figure it out for themselves. And in the case of Nikon, the i-TTL protocol seems to have evolved between the D2H and the D70 - and might even evolve again for the D2X. Your best chance of having a flashgun that works perfectly is to take one from the camera manufacturer.

Charles

I think it's probably a good idea to get an SB-600. The built-in flash actually died on me one fine day, and i was stuck shooting with NO flash at all.

Thread Information