Digital SLR Cameras Forum

Digital SLRs Forum Discuss digital SLRs, lenses, RAW conversion, or anything else related to digital SLRs. You may also want to see the Nikon, Canon, and Sony camera forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital SLR Reviews >>
Digital SLR Buyer's Guide >>

Which Digital SLR is right for me?

Hi everyone

Heard this is a excellent place to get sound advise on cameras.
    I usually use a point and snap standard camera. so im new to the DSLR world.

im now working in a nightclub / concert environment and need help in choosing a perfect camera.

im also studying at university so there is a budget. i was told "dont get anything else but the canon eos 350D" by a friend. He said its the perfect DSLR for my needs. After looking into it with the lense, flash, card and body the total exceeds about £900. I would prefer to get something that takes that same quality photos but is maybe alittle cheaper. on the other hand if the canon eos 350D is so great i will be willing to scrape every penny together so i can invest in it.

i need camera to:
    > take sharp photos in the nightclub / concert environment ( lasers, strobes, crowds)
    > take excellent quality photos in everyday life, inside and outside.
    > Easy to use (manually and automatic maybe)
    > reliable
    > value for money (good investment)

please advise me on the perfect camera for me...

thanks in advanced

Nikon D50

Quote Originally Posted by mrma
    Hi everyone

Heard this is a excellent place to get sound advise on cameras.
    I usually use a point and snap standard camera. so im new to the DSLR world.

im now working in a nightclub / concert environment and need help in choosing a perfect camera.

im also studying at university so there is a budget. i was told "dont get anything else but the canon eos 350D" by a friend. He said its the perfect DSLR for my needs. After looking into it with the lense, flash, card and body the total exceeds about £900. I would prefer to get something that takes that same quality photos but is maybe alittle cheaper. on the other hand if the canon eos 350D is so great i will be willing to scrape every penny together so i can invest in it.

i need camera to:
    > take sharp photos in the nightclub / concert environment ( lasers, strobes, crowds)
    > take excellent quality photos in everyday life, inside and outside.
    > Easy to use (manually and automatic maybe)
    > reliable
    > value for money (good investment)

please advise me on the perfect camera for me...

thanks in advanced
    Take the Nikon D50 with 18-55 kit lens and Nikon SB600 flash. 6Mpix (rather than 8MPix on the 350D) is quite sufficient for what you want to do and the D50 is much cheaper than the 350D. Plus - most important - Nikon's flash system is better than Canon's.

Several of my friends have just bought a D50 and even on full auto in the hands of a relative beginner the results I've seen have been good.

Charles

Re: Which Digital SLR is right for me?

Thank you very much Franglais for the reply........

i am going to look around at prices for the Nikon now an get some information.

As anyone else got any more information or opinions about what camera is suitable for me?

i need expert views so i can make the correct decision,

thanks in advanced

Currently the most afordable high-quality DSLR is the Pentax DL or DS or D-something or other. There are also a lot of used Pentax lenses floating around that are excellent and will work on the digital bodies.

My only comments is you need a very fast lens and high ISO setting because most venues are dark and a lot of them don't allow flash.

This is nikon d70 with f2.0 lens. Canon full frame chip cameras have low noise for high ISO shooting so consider that with a fast lens.

Thread Information