Digital Cameras Forum

Digital Cameras Forum Discuss compact digital cameras or ask general digital photography questions - what camera to buy, memory cards, digital camera accessories, etc. You may also want to look at the Digital SLR forum, or the Camera Manufacturer forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital Camera Reviews >>
Digital Camera Buyers Guide >>

Problems with indoor pics + a80 vs Powershot S1??

Hello,

I'm new to the forum, and (I suppose) not a very sophisticated user. I currently have a canon a60, which seems to work just fine for normal outdoor use, although once in a while I'd prefer a little more zoom.

The real problem I get into is when I'm trying to take close up pictures, especially indoors. The two main Problems I have are:
    Glare from the flash
    Not enough detail or blury

Indoors the flash always likes to come on, but there's almost always a big glare spot from the flash when the camera is too close; if I pull it further away I just don't get a big enough picture, even with the 3x zoom. Sometimes I partialy cover the flash with my finger, which seems to help, but just as often the image is too dark.

Also I'm just not getting the detail I want from the pictures, for example if I'm shooting something with a fine pattern on it, I just can't see the detail or the picture comes out blury.

I hear that lens attachments may help and have seen something called a "lens hood" but I've never used lens attachments before so I'm unsure as to what I need..... I've also considered getting a nicer camera, perhaps a "Canon a80" or a "Canon Powershot S1 IS" but I have a nagging feeling that even with a new camera I may still have these problems.

Any help regarding whether I should look into a new camera, new accessories, or both would realy be appreciated. Also if anyone has any opinions between the a80 and Powershot S1, or any sub $400 camera I'd appreciate that as well.

Thank you in avance everyone!

P.S. I also posted this on the general help site, but wasn't sure which forum would be better for my question.

Technique vs Camera

krynsky-
    Sorry no one answered you sooner. Your question(s) is a good one and one I'm sure a lot of other people will benefit from a good answer.

Your guess that a new camera won't make much difference is correct. The problems you're describing have more to do with technique and the limitations of all compact cameras. Flash glare will always be a problem - especially with point-and-shoot cameras. The closer the flash is to the lens, the more light bounces back into the lens. Try shooting at an angle so that the light doesn't come right back at you. Even better, try not to use the flash. A tripod is a cheap and excellent way to improve your photos. It will also help eliminate camera shake, another one of your problems.

When you say, "Not enough detail or blury", I'm thinking you're either too close, or you have motion blur. All lenses have a limit to how close they can focus. Check your camera manual to see what the limit is with the A60. And use the macro mode for close-ups. That's what it's for.

In low light your camera will use slow shutter speeds. That's when camera shake becomes a problem. Below about 1/60th second, most people's hands shake enough that it will show up as blurry photos. Solutions are to use the flash or a tripod. If you don't like flash, a tripod is the answer. And a tripod will also allow you to shoot really long exposures at night - stuff you couldn't even do with a flash.

The Image Stabilization on the Canon S1 IS would help with camera shake. And new cameras are always nice. But it might be better for you to work on your technique and try a tripod before you spend more money. Most of us will benefit more from learning new skills than investing in new equipment.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Quote Originally Posted by Photo-John
    krynsky-
    Sorry no one answered you sooner. Your question(s) is a good one and one I'm sure a lot of other people will benefit from a good answer.

Your guess that a new camera won't make much difference is correct. The problems you're describing have more to do with technique and the limitations of all compact cameras. Flash glare will always be a problem - especially with point-and-shoot cameras. The closer the flash is to the lens, the more light bounces back into the lens. Try shooting at an angle so that the light doesn't come right back at you. Even better, try not to use the flash. A tripod is a cheap and excellent way to improve your photos. It will also help eliminate camera shake, another one of your problems.

When you say, "Not enough detail or blury", I'm thinking you're either too close, or you have motion blur. All lenses have a limit to how close they can focus. Check your camera manual to see what the limit is with the A60. And use the macro mode for close-ups. That's what it's for.

In low light your camera will use slow shutter speeds. That's when camera shake becomes a problem. Below about 1/60th second, most people's hands shake enough that it will show up as blurry photos. Solutions are to use the flash or a tripod. If you don't like flash, a tripod is the answer. And a tripod will also allow you to shoot really long exposures at night - stuff you couldn't even do with a flash.

The Image Stabilization on the Canon S1 IS would help with camera shake. And new cameras are always nice. But it might be better for you to work on your technique and try a tripod before you spend more money. Most of us will benefit more from learning new skills than investing in new equipment.
    Great info as i am just getting into this also, been using SLR for quite a few years and have recently bought an A70 would like to get to know this a bit more though.

Thread Information