Digital Cameras Forum

Digital Cameras Forum Discuss compact digital cameras or ask general digital photography questions - what camera to buy, memory cards, digital camera accessories, etc. You may also want to look at the Digital SLR forum, or the Camera Manufacturer forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital Camera Reviews >>
Digital Camera Buyers Guide >>

Digital SLR Recommendations?

Since my post count is ZERO, therefore I can't create a new thread.

My requreiment is bit similar. I am a newbie in the world of camera. I am planning to buy professional camera for my wife having DSLR features. I don't know what all things people consider before buying a good camera. But I there are few points that I want.

1) Minimum 10.1 MP still image
    2) It should have option for adding custom lens for better photography. I don't know upto what extent a good lens can make difference.
    3) It should have enough optical zoom in a way one can take clear photo of a football from a mile.
    4) It should have a wid angle view. Example if you are standing meters away from a 100 story building, you should be able to take the picture of complete building.
    5) It should have atleast 4-5 inch ICD for viewing.
    6) Finally all its functions should be touch based. Although I've heard that touch based functionalities are only in basic cams not professional camers. So touch screen is an added advantage not a compulsion.

Now seeking all these features into consideration I've heard Nikon and Cannon (D3100 & D5100) are the top contenders. What else can you suggest.

Re: Digital SLR Recommendations?

Sorry about the post count limitation. We do that to make it more difficult for spammers to fill up the forums with spam. I went ahead and moved your post so that it's now a separate thread

Before we actually get into the specific features you're looking for, can you tell us what your budget is and what kind of photography your wife is interested in? Also, how much photography experience does she have?

A couple of quick notes on your requirements:

There aren't any cameras with 4 to 5 inch LCD displays. I think 3.3 inches as the biggest right now.

You asked if a good lens can make a difference? Lenses make all the difference in the world and we usually recommend that people spend less on a camera and more on lenses. You can have the best camera in the world but if you put a crappy lens on it, you're images will not look very good.

How wide or far you can photograph depends on the lens you use, not the camera. With an interchangeable lens camera you can choose whatever lenses you want as long as they are compatible with your camera. However, your requirements for being able to capture a football from a mile away or a 100 story building from meters away are unrealistic.

Your touchscreen requirement is going to seriously limit your camera options. Interchangeable lens cameras with touchscreen displays do exist, though. Technically, they aren't digital SLRs, though. There's a new class of cameras called compact system cameras that are smaller and lighter but have interchangeable lenses and most of the performance of a digital SLR. Sony, Panasonic and Olympus all make compact system cameras with touchscreen displays. My favorite camera of 2011 was the Olympus E-P3, which has a touchscreen display. Check out my review to see if it sounds like something that might fit the bill and also to get some more perspective on what's available:

Olympus E-P3 Pro Review >>

Also, here's an entry-level DSLR guide that should also help:

reviews.photographyreview.com/top-five-beginner-digital-slrs

I hope this helps get things started. I'm sure you're going to have more questions. Don't hesitate to post again. We're here to help
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Thanks for the suggestion John.

Coming back to your questions. I can spend around 1000$ for a camera. But like you suggested. Just like PCs I don't plan to upgrade cameras every year, Therefore I would like have a semi professional camera with a basic lens, and then within 6 month or so I can buy a better lens.

What kind of photography your wife is interested in? Also, how much photography experience does she have?

All time usuage.
    1) Family pictures
    2) Nature
    3) Adventure
    4) Travel
    5) Seights
    6) Nightlife

In addition we have special perference in taking pictures of far distance objects that are not clear with bare eyes.

She is not a professional photographer therefore she has nigligible experience in terms of professional photography. But we travel a lot, love the nature therefore for that require a semi professional camera (ex Nikon D7000, D3100, D5100 Cannon D60, D550 and the one suggested by you)
    Last edited by maverick786us; 01-31-2012 at 10:14 PM.

A well-laid-out control system surpasses a touch screen in so many ways. If everything was on a touch screen, then drilling down the menus to a certain feature would be touch, scroll, touch, scroll, touch, scroll, missed it, back up, touch elsewhere, etc. Also, to use a touch screen, one of your hands has to let go of the camera.
    With well designed buttons, the screen is just your feedback, and one hand (probably one thumb, actually) works the modes and the other works the selections, and you don't change how you're holding the camera. It's MUCH faster!

The Nikon D3100 would be a great start, however, if you could manage with your budget, the D5100 would probably see you through for a longer period of time.
    Volker
    Nikon D7200
    Nikon P7100
    Nikon 16-80/2.8-4 ED VR
    Nikon 55-200 VR II

Keeping it light and simple.

Quote Originally Posted by maverick786us View Post
    Since my post count is ZERO, therefore I can't create a new thread.

My requreiment is bit similar. I am a newbie in the world of camera. I am planning to buy professional camera for my wife having DSLR features. I don't know what all things people consider before buying a good camera. But I there are few points that I want.

1) Minimum 10.1 MP still image
    2) It should have option for adding custom lens for better photography. I don't know upto what extent a good lens can make difference.
    3) It should have enough optical zoom in a way one can take clear photo of a football from a mile.
    4) It should have a wid angle view. Example if you are standing meters away from a 100 story building, you should be able to take the picture of complete building.
    5) It should have atleast 4-5 inch ICD for viewing.
    6) Finally all its functions should be touch based. Although I've heard that touch based functionalities are only in basic cams not professional camers. So touch screen is an added advantage not a compulsion.

Now seeking all these features into consideration I've heard Nikon and Cannon (D3100 & D5100) are the top contenders. What else can you suggest.
    In 5-10 years there might be a camera to suit your requirements. Right now:

- $1000 is not enough to get a current camera+lens which is even remotely professional (D7000)
    - All the cameras that have been mentioned so far (D3100, D5100..) are consumer models

The differences between "consumer" model and a "low-end pro" model are:

- Pro models have a big clear image through the viewfinder so that you can really see what you're shooting
    - Pro models have more buttons and wheels so that you can control essential camera features like aperture and shutter speed directly without plunging into menus (which you don't have the time to do when you're on a shoot. Forget the touch screen idea)
    - Pro models support all the lenses Nikon has produced in the last 20 years. The consumer models can only autofocus with lenses that have an integrated focussing motor (AF-S)
    - Pro models fully support the Nikon flash system (you will need a Nikon flash quite quickly..)

However - the (discontinued) D90 + 18-105 just fits into your budget and it has all the characteristics that I just mentioned. It has the same sensor as my D300, the same focussing system as my D200. In your place I would go for the D90 rather than the D3100 (sorry D3100 fans but I get tired of cameras like the D3100 quite quickly).

BTW - there is some learning to do to be able to use the professional features that I mentioned. To get excellent results you need to be in control of the camera and not the other way round.
    Charles

Nikon D800, D7200, Sony RX100m3
    Not buying any more gear this year. I hope

Quote Originally Posted by Franglais View Post
    BTW - there is some learning to do to be able to use the professional features that I mentioned. To get excellent results you need to be in control of the camera and not the other way round.
    Thanks for the knowledge sharing. So those tutorials must be there in the instruction manuals of the Prof Camera that you purchase?

Canon 1200mm f/5.6 super telephoto. Something in the 6 digit price ball park.

The Mother of all Telephotos | B&H Photo Video

However, realistically the best long distance optics at a reasonable price would be a 400mm f/5.6, plus a variety of 1.4x or 2x teleconverters. That can be done under $1000, and is the best distance to budget you can yet do with DSLR.

It can also be done on all lens mounts, so there is no brand that has dominion over this feature.

The only touch screen camera that can do what you are wanting would be the Panasonic GF3 or Olympus E-P3, both use the same lens mount. Not quite the same as DSLR, but does an interchangeable lens system with super-telephoto options and DSLR image quality. Maybe its not what you need though, I don't think touch screen is necessarily a very valuable feature.
    - Charlie

Feel free to edit and repost my work as a part of your critique.

Quote Originally Posted by Anbesol View Post
    The only touch screen camera that can do what you are wanting would be the Panasonic GF3 or Olympus E-P3, both use the same lens mount. Not quite the same as DSLR, but does an interchangeable lens system with super-telephoto options and DSLR image quality. Maybe its not what you need though, I don't think touch screen is necessarily a very valuable feature.
    Thanks for the recommendation.
    In this digital world where mobile phones, tablets, cameras, camcoders are moving into touch. Touch screen is a PLUS point not a need

Quote Originally Posted by maverick786us View Post
    Thanks for the knowledge sharing. So those tutorials must be there in the instruction manuals of the Prof Camera that you purchase?
    When you buy a car the instruction manual doesn't include driving lessons.

There are lots of courses on things like shutter speed, aperture, focal length, ISO etc. and what you use when. The "Program" modes in non-professional cameras provide a very interesting set of choices made by the manufacturer for a given type of subject (I have learnt a few things from "consumer" cameras).
    Charles

Nikon D800, D7200, Sony RX100m3
    Not buying any more gear this year. I hope

I'll repeat what I said in post #4 about touch screens. Having to drill through menus, and moving your hands around to do so, rather than select from well-designed controls will only slow you down.

Additionally, if you're using a viewfinder, how do you avoid touching the touchscreen? Do you now have to add a button to enable/disable the touch?

No, thanks.

Thread Information