Digital Cameras Forum

Digital Cameras Forum Discuss compact digital cameras or ask general digital photography questions - what camera to buy, memory cards, digital camera accessories, etc. You may also want to look at the Digital SLR forum, or the Camera Manufacturer forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital Camera Reviews >>
Digital Camera Buyers Guide >>
    Product Evaluator

What is the future of digital cameras?

I have been researching articles recently just to get the opinion of experts on the future of digital photography and cameras, but I honestly think some of the best experts are right here, so I would love your feedback.

What is the future of the digital camera? Will it be integrated into the phone for the majority of people?

I read recently that display-capable contact lenses are being developped. Do you think that digital photography and such technology will be "installed" into future technologies like that? Will we lose cameras?

I like general discussion and just would love your feedback and opinions.

Re: What is the future of digital cameras?

Quote Originally Posted by WhichFrame
    I have been researching articles recently just to get the opinion of experts on the future of digital photography and cameras, but I honestly think some of the best experts are right here, so I would love your feedback.

What is the future of the digital camera? Will it be integrated into the phone for the majority of people?

I read recently that display-capable contact lenses are being developped. Do you think that digital photography and such technology will be "installed" into future technologies like that? Will we lose cameras?

I like general discussion and just would love your feedback and opinions.
    The distant future holds advancements for humanity that we simply can not dream of. However when it comes to cameras we can already see that they are being made smaller, lighter, and harder to detect by those who are their subjects. That being said, we will not, in our lifetimes, see the disappearance of the traditional SLR form. It will be modified, and updated. It will be fitted with the latest technology, and gizmos, but as a society we just have too much invested in that shape. As photographers we drive the market, and photographers like their tools to resemble the tools that came before them. I know I do. A case in point would be Olympus' revolutionary, yet poorly received, E-300, with its flat top, compact camera appearance, and side swinging poro mirror.

Another thing to consider is lenses. It will be a LONG time before there are compact lenses that can match teh speed and quality of the pro glass we have these days. In fact it seems that lenses have even started getting bigger lately. I highly doubt you will be buying apair of 600mm f/2.8 contact lenses any time soon.

The shape of things to come in the near, and even near distant future is pretty clear, status quo with some tweaks.

That is one photographer’s opinion.
    John Cowan
    Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.
    ~Ernest Hemingway~

Thread Information