Digital Cameras Forum

Digital Cameras Forum Discuss compact digital cameras or ask general digital photography questions - what camera to buy, memory cards, digital camera accessories, etc. You may also want to look at the Digital SLR forum, or the Camera Manufacturer forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital Camera Reviews >>
Digital Camera Buyers Guide >>

Thread: What do I get?

NMW

What do I get?

I have a small model art business and need to upgrade to a better camera since all my sales are made online. So the main need I have is for a camera that takes a beautiful close-up shot. I want it to be professional. I don’t need video or optimal zoom. I want high quality photos that are easy to upload onto computer and the camera itself to have a good battery life. I’m sure I could find one on sale somewhere (like on Amazon.com), but I still couldn’t have anything valued over $500 (my budget is $250 TOPS!). What can you recommend??

Re: What do I get?

Professional quality is more the photographer than the camera. That said, more expensive cameras do have better lenses and sensors so they deliver better image quality. My first thought for you is that a superzoom camera would best serve your needs. Superzoom cameras have 20x or longer zoom lenses and look like small digital SLRs. They still use the smaller compact camera sensors, though. So their image quality won't be nearly as good as a digital SLR. Compact camera image quality has improved a lot over the past couple of years though and I expect you would be happy with a superzoom camera. The problem is, as you've already suggested, most of them cost closer to $500 than your $250 budget limit. So I poked around a bit and remembered I took a look at the Nikon Coolpix L120 at the PhotoPlus tradeshow. It might do the job for you. Here's a link to the article I wrote about it:

Nikon Coolpix L120 Superzoom At PhotoPlus >>

Why don't you take a look at that article and let me know if the L120 looks like it will do the job for you. If nothing else, the article should get you pointed in the right direction. And please don't be shy - ask more questions if you have them
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Another option:

It's possible to get a decent deal in that price range on used equipment on eBay. Both of my digital SLR bodies were used purchases, a D50 I got from a friend, and a D5000 I bought last summer as an upgrade. I eBay'd the D50 for more than half what I gave for the D5000 so it worked out real well.

If the item arrives and you have some issue you don't like, post it up and resell it!

For that money, you'll probably be looking at 6, maybe 8 megapixels max in a used dSLR.

Something else to consider about SLRs over compacts is that the shutter fires when you press it, not after "thinking" for a half second or more. That might be essential to you, or it might not.

But then he'd have to also buy a macro lens and those aren't cheap. Compact cameras are actually better at close-up photography than digital SLRs because they have the ability built-in. If you can afford an expensive (hundreds of dollars) macro lens, then a digital SLR will be better. But on a sub-$300 budget, a compact camera really is the way to go.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Olympus' SZ-10 is right within budget, it has an excellent macro feature with a 1cm minimum focus distance. It also has a fast 3.1-4.4 lens, to make the higher focal range more usable with available light. In spite of its glass being faster than the L120, its also more compact. Even though the L120 claims a 21x zoom over the Olympus 18x, the difference on its reach is minimal, the L120 ends at a 525mm equivalent, vs the Olympus 505mm equivalent. This super-telephoto 20mm difference is negligible, the reason for the variation is in the method of calculation, the L120 starts at a 25mm equivalent, the Olympus starts at 28mm. The difference in the zoom range is practically non-existant. Anyway, I think you would like the SZ10 better and its more functional lens should make its use a little easier for you than the Nikon would. Its macro feature is excellent. Its also available at most electronic brick and mortars like wal-mart.

heck, its even a lot less expensive than the Nikon. I wonder why that is? Amazon are giving these things away at $160 link. So, to round things up, the SZ10 does everything the L120 does, at a lower price, with a faster lens, and a more compact size. Although, I suppose if you like cycling through AA batteries instead of recharging a smaller battery that lasts greater than 2 years on average, then the L120 offers you that. But other then that, the only thing you get with the L120 is bulk, cost, AA batteries and compromise. I think the SZ10 gives you a much better cost value.

*edit - the SZ10 uses the Li-50B rechargable battery, if you want a spare, you can get a spare, rechargable, 2 year+ battery for the same price you get a pack of AA;s for on amazon.
    Last edited by Anbesol; 12-29-2011 at 09:41 PM.
    - Charlie

Feel free to edit and repost my work as a part of your critique.

Quote Originally Posted by Photo-John View Post
    But then he'd have to also buy a macro lens and those aren't cheap.
    Ya know, you're right. I didn't read "close-up" as "macro" when I read the post the first time, and my brain was more like "Mr. DeMille, I'm ready for my close-up."

He could get a manual focus macro within budget, then an adapter and throw it on a digital CSC body. Would give him professional quality and not much over the budget. But, it does take a bit of effort and know-how to do it right, the point and shoot is easier. And he did say he wanted something easy.
    - Charlie

Feel free to edit and repost my work as a part of your critique.

I'm too looking forward to buy a new camera, with a budget of U$S 260 top. I've done some research, and i found out some models, but they all have their pros and cons, and i cannot figure out which one is the right for me. I want to say that i don't know much about photography, but i consider myself a good point-and-shoot photographer, and what I'm looking for is, first of all, image quality. I would also like it to have a large zoom, and, if it is possible, to have some manual features, just to start learning the basics (it's not a must have).
    The models i'm having into consideration are:

Nikon L120 - I've seen some sample images, and i really like them. (It doesn't have much manual controls, but it wouldn't be much to worry about)

Fujifilm S3200 - I've seen some sample images, and I've noticed they really look like as if they were painted on when zoomed, and the colors seem to be washed, though it has more manual controls.

Canon SX150 - Good image quality, some manual controls, not a quite large zoom.

I've not read much about the Olympus SZ-10 recommended in this thread, but i will have it in consideration too.

Please, can you advise me in which one is the right one for me? (You can suggest other models too!)

Digitalcameraleague.com has some cheap cameras. I just googled it though.

thanks ,find in amazon is also not bad !

[IMG]http://www.**********/g.gif[/IMG]

Thread Information