Digital Cameras Forum

Digital Cameras Forum Discuss compact digital cameras or ask general digital photography questions - what camera to buy, memory cards, digital camera accessories, etc. You may also want to look at the Digital SLR forum, or the Camera Manufacturer forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital Camera Reviews >>
Digital Camera Buyers Guide >>

Lightbulb The dreaded "Which Camera" question...

I'll try to make this brief...

Currently have an Olympus C-2040. Very pleased with it. Mainly just looking to "upgrade."
    The following would be what I'm looking for in a camera:

$500-$600 max
    Don't need to print anything larger than 8x10 (maaaaaybe 11x14 but very rarely)
    Excellent Low Light performance (don't like to use flash, and do mostly handheld shots)
    Excellent Color reproduction
    Used mainly for Landscape, Portraits, and my 2 year old (so extremely low shutter lag and processing would be nice but I realize in this price range it probably won't be possible)

My thoughts: If I'm lucky I could find a nice used Canon D30, or for a little less I could find used/refurbished G3s or similar Olympus/Fuji/Sony/etc. models. I know that a new camera will have newer technolgy but will I get more performance from a higher-end (back in its day) used camera?

Thanks,
    Bruce

Bigger Pixels

Bruce-
    You'll definitely get better image quality from a used D30, if you can find one. It's got a bigger sensor and bigger pixels which equals better image quality. Some people felt that the images from that camera were too soft. But portrait photographers loved it - maybe for that same reason. You'll also be able to change lenses and use professional flash equipment with the D30. It does have noticeable shutter-lag, though. It's not as bad as most compact cameras, but it's definitely an issuse to be aware of.

As far as a new compact camera, Canon, Olympus, Fuji, Sony, Minolta, and Nikon all make good high-end compacts. Since you're already comfortable with the Olympus, I might recommend the C-5060. It will feel and operate very similarly, and it's a very nice camera, with a real wide-angle lens. The G3 is a very, very popular camera and a refurbished one would be a very good buy. It does still have noticeable shutter-lag, although it's faster than the G2. And as far as image quality, it's one of the best compacts.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Thanks for the reply John.

Geez, now you've really got me thinking. Now I can't decide between those 3

I'm thinking deep down I should hold out for the D30. I've seen images taken by it and they're just absolutely stunning. I love images that are so crisp you can't say anything except, WOW. They're going for about $550-$700 right now on ebay. But as many have mentioned, for a couple hundred more you can get a Drebel, or heck for about $1500 a 10D, which supposedly has much better autofocus. Should I just save up for the 10D since it's a much better "value"?

Now, if I want to save some money, that C-5060 you mentioned is really tempting. I'm a Wide Angle freak. I'd say 90% of the time when I shoot with my 2040 I'm using my wide angle lens. Would be nice to have a camera that it came standard on (although I'd probably want even more and buy the .7x lens for the 5060 ) I've also seen the pictures you've taken with it and I have to say they are great. Very nice.

I've heard nothing but rave reviews of the G5 and G3, so that seems like a real contender as well.

Ah, what to do, what to do...
    60Hz Productions
    Great pictures are taken with the mind...the problem lies in getting the dang camera to take the same picture!

Out of those choices

Save up for the 10D. That's the decision that makes the most sense, for the long run. Sell something, hustle some side jobs, use the credit card. The 10D will give you the best return on your money.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Oops. Too late. I just won an auction for a D30. Even worse, I've got the high bid on 3 other D30s that are going to end soon. Talk about jumping the gun

Uh, besides that little snafu, now my real problem is a LENS!

My most ideal lens (if I could have any) would be an not-so-expensive 24-135mm zoom lens (35mm equivilent). I'm assuming Canon would be the brand I'd want to go for.

Does Canon make a 24-135? Since digital has the 1.6 factor does that mean I need to look for a 14mm on the wide end. I think the smallest I've seen is a 16-35mm, but isn't that expensive.

Any thoughts on a Canon lens that would be fairly on the wide side but not too expensive?
    60Hz Productions
    Great pictures are taken with the mind...the problem lies in getting the dang camera to take the same picture!

Thread Information