Digital Cameras Forum

Digital Cameras Forum Discuss compact digital cameras or ask general digital photography questions - what camera to buy, memory cards, digital camera accessories, etc. You may also want to look at the Digital SLR forum, or the Camera Manufacturer forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital Camera Reviews >>
Digital Camera Buyers Guide >>

Waterproof P&S: AW100 or TG-2?

I'm looking at buying a waterproof camera. I plan to use it on an upcoming vacation for a dolphin interaction, snorkeling, and water park. I also plan to use it as my main P&S. It'll be used as a regular camera more than in the water, so good general use is important.

After doing research and reading reviews, I've narrowed it down to the Olympus TG-2 or Nikon AW100. From the reviews it seems like the Olympus TG-2 is the best (well, most reviews are for the TG-1 but the TG-2 should be the same). The TG-2 is $380. The Nikon AW100 is $200. After adding a warranty the AW100 is over $200 cheaper. I'm not an experienced photographer, usually just using Auto mode. Based on my use and the prices which do you think I should go for?

Thanks!

Re: Waterproof P&S: AW100 or TG-2?

Quote Originally Posted by spaceboi View Post
    I'm looking at buying a waterproof camera. I plan to use it on an upcoming vacation for a dolphin interaction, snorkeling, and water park. I also plan to use it as my main P&S. It'll be used as a regular camera more than in the water, so good general use is important.

After doing research and reading reviews, I've narrowed it down to the Olympus TG-2 or Nikon AW100. From the reviews it seems like the Olympus TG-2 is the best (well, most reviews are for the TG-1 but the TG-2 should be the same). The TG-2 is $380. The Nikon AW100 is $200. After adding a warranty the AW100 is over $200 cheaper. I'm not an experienced photographer, usually just using Auto mode. Based on my use and the prices which do you think I should go for?

Thanks!
    I've used both cameras extensively and I definitely think the Olympus is better. It has a much better lens that allows you to take pictures in more situations and freeze action better. However, before the TG1 became my favorite rugged waterproof camera, the Nikon AW100 owned that position. So it's definitely a good camera. It's just that when the TG1 came out, I definitely noticed the image quality difference.

If you're using it mostly in bright light, you may not really notice the difference. However, if you're going to be wondering if you made the right decision, the Olympus is definitely better. Also, they're really both pretty much auto mode cameras. The TG2 does add aperture priority, but you don't have to use it.

By the way, I saw an open floor model TG1 for $200 at a local Best Buy yesterday. So you might look around and see if you can find a deal on the TG1. I think it's the perfect compromise for you.

Let me know if you have more questions!
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Thanks Photo-John! I really enjoyed your reviews of both the Nikon and Olympus. My gut is telling me to go for the Oly but the deal on the Nikon is so good it has me second-guessing. I find myself wondering if I'd be ok going with that and saving some $. But am also afraid I'll find myself wishing I had bought the TG2. The f/2.0 lens really stands out. I'm a Disney fan so most of my picture taking will be at the parks and mostly outdoor. But there are times where I'll be taking pics indoors in low light so the Oly will help in those situations.

I've checked my local Best Buy's for clearance and open items hoping to find some of the old models now that new ones are coming out but only thing I found was the Oly 820. I crossed that off the list as I don't like the placement of the zoom controls being on the top next to the shutter release. I thought about buying both the Nikon and Oly and trying them out, then return the one I don't like but feel bad doing that. Wish they still had the Nikon on display but it's not in any of the stores in my area.

The other reason I'm leaning towards the Oly is I'd like to get back in to diving and can get an underwater housing for the TG2. I'll probably listen to my gut and go with the TG2.

Quote Originally Posted by spaceboi View Post
    Thanks Photo-John! I really enjoyed your reviews of both the Nikon and Olympus. My gut is telling me to go for the Oly but the deal on the Nikon is so good it has me second-guessing. I find myself wondering if I'd be ok going with that and saving some $. But am also afraid I'll find myself wishing I had bought the TG2. The f/2.0 lens really stands out... I'll probably listen to my gut and go with the TG2.
    You definitely won't regret buying the Olympus. And I guarantee the image is better. I wasn't expecting the TG-1's image quality to be better than the Nikon AW100. But after careful comparison, it was clear that the Olympus was better. And the fast lens does make a difference, too. I've used the TG-1 a ton over the past year and the more I use it, the more I like it. It's the first waterproof camera I've had where I feel like the image quality is really good enough to use for almost anything - in good light, anyway.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

The tg-2 looks nice.

Thread Information