• 05-29-2006, 07:03 PM
    ubbman
    very general which camera is right for me question
    Hi there. I read the sticky detailing all the information I am supposed to include in a post like this, but I really am new to this and am looking more to be pointed in a general direction rather than to be given specific models to look at. I had a Sony point and shoot 5 mp camera for the last year (DSC-W5 I believe), until it got stolen a couple of weeks ago. I really enjoyed using it, it had some nice manual settings and so I learned a bit about photography bringing it around Europe. Now that it's gone, I would like to move a little deeper into photography, and take it up as a bonafide hobby. I figured that the next logical step was an SLR such as the Digital Rebel XT which is now all over the place for $700 or so. But I'm also willing to consider more expensive and more elaborate cameras. I plan to do a fair amount of reading and experimentation, and would really like a great camera that will last me for a few years. I'd being doing all sorts of photography most likely--sports, scenery, indoors, etc. I don't have a set price--I want to consider the options, and then save up/spend accordingly. That being said, I'm not looking to spend a ton. Any suggestions, links, help, etc. are very welcome.
    thanks a lot.