Digital Cameras Forum

Digital Cameras Forum Discuss compact digital cameras or ask general digital photography questions - what camera to buy, memory cards, digital camera accessories, etc. You may also want to look at the Digital SLR forum, or the Camera Manufacturer forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital Camera Reviews >>
Digital Camera Buyers Guide >>

Ultra Compact digicam recommendations/advice

Hi guys...
    I'm thinking of getting an ultra compact digicam to replace my current Nikon Coolpix 2500.My main criteria are
    1) 3+MP, 3X optical zoom class
    2) Price - <$350
    3) Design/Size(dimensions, weight)
    4) Image quality
    5) Battery life
    6) Features

So far I've a few digicams in mind, namely:
    1) Minolta Dimage Xt/Xg
    2) Nikon Coolpix 3700
    3) Casio Exilim QV-R41

The Minolta is my top pick since its really tiny, slim, and I really like the design. The Nikon's not bad too and the Casio boasts a 4MP resolution. However, I'm almost set on the Minolta (call me vain). Are there any glaring problems/issues with the Xt/Xg that I should know about, compared to my other choices, as well as my current Coolpix 2500? I've read about the Xt's sub-par night shots, does the Xg improve upon this?

So far the best price I find on the Xg is about $270 shipped...

Thanks!

Liz

Talking Two more suggestions

I checked these out when looking for a 2nd camera.

Canon s400 - great camera - ultra compact......about $100 more than the one below
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...=278235&is=REG

A70 - another great little camera (but a bit larger than the one above ) $100 less
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...=278238&is=REG

You can check the review section here for all of the above.

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by galapogos
    Hi guys...
    I'm thinking of getting an ultra compact digicam to replace my current Nikon Coolpix 2500.My main criteria are
    1) 3+MP, 3X optical zoom class
    2) Price - <$350
    3) Design/Size(dimensions, weight)
    4) Image quality
    5) Battery life
    6) Features

So far I've a few digicams in mind, namely:
    1) Minolta Dimage Xt/Xg
    2) Nikon Coolpix 3700
    3) Casio Exilim QV-R41

The Minolta is my top pick since its really tiny, slim, and I really like the design. The Nikon's not bad too and the Casio boasts a 4MP resolution. However, I'm almost set on the Minolta (call me vain). Are there any glaring problems/issues with the Xt/Xg that I should know about, compared to my other choices, as well as my current Coolpix 2500? I've read about the Xt's sub-par night shots, does the Xg improve upon this?

So far the best price I find on the Xg is about $270 shipped...

Thanks!

Canon S400?

I wanted a pocketable compact digital also and went with the Canon S400. It is a 4mp camera and is about the size of a deck of cards. I bought it from Amazon for $330 plus a 256mb Viking CF card for $29.99 (59.99 - 30.00 discount when purchased together) on 3/10 and received it on 3/13. I've already shot about a hundred pictures and I am impressed. It is very solid and easy to use (no manual controls, though). The pictures look as good as the ones taken with my Canon G2. I haven't printed any pictures from the S400 yet, but hopefully, I'll get a chance this weekend. The S400 is being replaced by the S410, which is basically the same but includes a handy Print button on the back. An S500 is also on the way and boasts a 5mp sensor. The price should continue to drop on the S400 due to it's being replaced. The S410 is priced at 399.00 at B&H but I don't think it is available yet. To me the addition of the print button was trivial plus I did not want to pass up the deal at Amazon (shipped free of charge).

Here's a link to the S400 review:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canons400/

Proud Owner Of A Canon
    If you went with the Canon A70 you would definitely not be dissapointed. It's got full manual controls, or you can go into auto and still get amazing pictures. It may be a little bigger, but it is really small.

And actually, if you don't have any camera stores around you, I'm pretty sure that Wal-Mart has the camera in stock, so you could go there and get a feel for it.

Sitting in a Leaky Dingy Michael Fanelli's Avatar

S400

I have an S400 and it has never disappointed me. Ultra compact? You bet! Yet it is still very easy to use. Better yet, the prices are dropping because it's been replaced by just-announced newer models.

The S400 is a better camera than the others in your list.
    "Every great decision creates ripples--like a huge boulder dropped in a lake. The ripples merge and rebound off the banks in unforseeable ways.

Thread Information