Digital Cameras Forum

Digital Cameras Forum Discuss compact digital cameras or ask general digital photography questions - what camera to buy, memory cards, digital camera accessories, etc. You may also want to look at the Digital SLR forum, or the Camera Manufacturer forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital Camera Reviews >>
Digital Camera Buyers Guide >>

trade in Nikon 5700 for Canon Dig Rebel

Ok, so I've had my Nikon 5700 for about 15 months (Oct 02), and I'm going to buy the new Canon digital Rebel. What do you think the trade-in value is for the Nikon 5700?

I have the original receipt, with 3 year ext warranty (I know!), CD's, manual, all the cables. I also bought an extra battery and battery charger.

Any guidance is appreciated! Thanks.

Seb
    Hello Noladave,

I apologise as I cannot directly answer to your question (there are definately knowledgeable folks here to cover that one).

Actually, I simply wanted to point out the fact that the Nikon D70 (a new DSLR in the price range of the Digital Rebel) should come out real soon. Unless you badly need the new camera right now or you already own Canon lenses that you intend to use with the Digital Rebel body I would suggest that you wait for the D70 to come out in order to compare both cameras for yourself.

I certainly don't want to bash the Digital Rebel (which is an highly capable camera) but from what was announced so far the D70 appear to be arguably superior.

You might want to give a look at http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/

There is a preview of the D70 and a full review of several digital cameras including the Digital Rebel (also called EOS 300D).

Regards

Seb
    Last edited by Seb; 02-20-2004 at 04:16 AM. Reason: badly, not barely! (pardon my english!!)

The basic guideline I found in my years as a working pro are that dealers will offer you about 25% of the original value of a camera in decent shape. Warranty, etc don't mean much to them. The camera becomes "used" as soon as it's out of the box, and they want to make a good profit on the eventual sale. Aything over 25% of the original value is gravy.
    You'll do much better selling the camera on eBay or privately.

Quote Originally Posted by noladave
    Ok, so I've had my Nikon 5700 for about 15 months (Oct 02), and I'm going to buy the new Canon digital Rebel. What do you think the trade-in value is for the Nikon 5700?

I have the original receipt, with 3 year ext warranty (I know!), CD's, manual, all the cables. I also bought an extra battery and battery charger.

I agree with Seb about waiting to see the D70. Usually I wouldn't counsel someone to wait. But in this case, the D70 is looking like a much more complete and able camera than the Digital Rebel. Unless you really want to buy Canon, you really should consider the D70.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

bought the Canon today

I loved my Canon A-series manual focus cameras, and quite frankly, did not enjoy my Nikon 5700 experience. So, I went ahead and bought the digital rebel, and took it for a trial run Friday night. I took about 150 pictures of a Tulane baseball game, and it was quite an adventure (the camera, not the game).

ISO 1600, and the pictures still came out ok. Obviously, you can see some noise, but I was pleasantly surprised by the quality of the pictures..

You can take a look for yourself, just be kind, it was my 1st use of the camera - some pictures are underexposed, some overexposed, and some just right.

http://www.wavebaseball.com/2004-02-20umbc.htm

P.S. thanks for your advice - I'm going to sell the Nikon 5700 on my own - the camera store would not give much trade-in for the camera.

Seb

Well it's all about personal preferences

Congratulation for your new camera!

Personally, I frankly dislike the feel of this camera (and of the few Canon's I have tried so far) but that's just me. There are several satisfied Digital Rebel users here and I am quite convinced that you should enjoy your new camera considering your positive experience with Canon.

Keep posting some more pics here!

best regards

Seb

D70

Quote Originally Posted by Photo-John
    I agree with Seb about waiting to see the D70. Usually I wouldn't counsel someone to wait. But in this case, the D70 is looking like a much more complete and able camera than the Digital Rebel. Unless you really want to buy Canon, you really should consider the D70.
    When is the D70 supposed to be available? As I too am interested in this one. I like my N80, but I see myself likeing digital, I just cant afford most of the DSLR's on the market.
    Jared

"My great concern is not whether you have failed, but whether you are content with your failure." - Abraham Lincoln

Seb

In late march or early april (in theory)...

I have heard various things coming from various sources but that's what a rep at my casual shop (a place that proven to be trusty over the time) told me last week.

Only time will tell but it appears that the wait is almost over.

regards

Seb
    Last edited by Seb; 02-21-2004 at 06:51 PM.

Sunny daytime pictures

I took some additional pictures on Saturday and Sunday, here is the link. One of my biggest problems in shooting the pictures is the white uniforms - I am still tinkering with the camera, and if you have any suggestions, I am open to them. I set the white balance to sunny (picture of a sun), and adjusted with a +.7. That seemed to be the best choice, but the faces were still a little dark. If I bumped it to a +1.0, then the white uniforms "washed out". Thanks in advance..

http://www.wavebaseball.com/2004-02-21umbc.htm (bright blue)
    http://www.wavebaseball.com/2004-02-22umbc.htm (bright white)

Re: trade in Nikon 5700 for Canon Dig Rebel

You and your buddyh jts, who by the way has probably not been to NO to see a game, continue to be blind to the fact that Tulane is in deep trouble. Keep on taking your pictures, pal. UNLESS the REAL fans unite and force something to be done, the ONLY thing you will be taking a picute of is your sorry butt sitting home on Saturday Night.

You guys are pathetic. To be positive is great, TO be blind is STUPID.

You know where I am/

Quote Originally Posted by noladave

Thread Information