Digital Cameras Forum

Digital Cameras Forum Discuss compact digital cameras or ask general digital photography questions - what camera to buy, memory cards, digital camera accessories, etc. You may also want to look at the Digital SLR forum, or the Camera Manufacturer forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital Camera Reviews >>
Digital Camera Buyers Guide >>
    learning

point and shoot and manual camera?

Im want to have a film SLR because I love the darkroom, however i really think a digital camera would be useful because i could "practice". I cant afford two SLRs but my mom says that she wants to get a digital point and shoot, so heres the question: Is there a camera that i could get that is cheap and can function as a point and shoot, yet still has manual focus/apature/shutter speed? i know that this camera probably dosn't exist but... anything?

Sitting in a Leaky Dingy Michael Fanelli's Avatar

Re: point and shoot and manual camera?

Quote Originally Posted by mtb'n ski
    Im want to have a film SLR because I love the darkroom, however i really think a digital camera would be useful because i could "practice". I cant afford two SLRs but my mom says that she wants to get a digital point and shoot, so heres the question: Is there a camera that i could get that is cheap and can function as a point and shoot, yet still has manual focus/apature/shutter speed? i know that this camera probably dosn't exist but... anything?
    There are many P&S digital cameras that have these features. My personal favorite is the old but still great Canon S50.

Be aware that some of the features won't be useful. Because the focal lengths of these cameras are so small (usually about 7mm to 22mm) DOF control is virtually useless. Av is not really all that valuable. Tv works well as does full manual if that's what you prefer. You'll have to learn about the advanced features that film cameras don't have: such as frame by frame ISO control, saturation, contrast, and color temperature via WB. Some cameras, such as the S50, have RAW file mode that lets you take full control over the image in software.
    "Every great decision creates ripples--like a huge boulder dropped in a lake. The ripples merge and rebound off the banks in unforseeable ways.

I have an older Nikon Coolpix 5000 which sounds similar to the one Michael is talking about. It was replaced by the Coolpix 5400, which I think is due to be replaced too - so you might find a good deal out there on one.

The big problem is that manual focus is about useless. If you physically measured camera to subject distance you could try it - or take a bunch of test shots with a stationary subject to make sure you get it right. OTOH, it seems to work a lot faster (less shutter lag) when it's pre-focused on a subject or in manual focus mode. Get any amount of camera to subject distance and focus becomes less critical because of the huge DOF.

The 5400 shoots RAW, has a spot meter, and aperture priority, shutter priority, program and manual modes.

The Olympus C-Series cameras offer a great combination of automation and manual override.
    The C-5050 and C-5060 at 5PM will produce excellent quality 8x10's.
    The 5050 has a fast 1.8 lens (3x zoom) while the 5060 offers a wide view 4x zoom equivalent to a 28-105 on a 35mm camera.

Thread Information