Digital Cameras Forum

Digital Cameras Forum Discuss compact digital cameras or ask general digital photography questions - what camera to buy, memory cards, digital camera accessories, etc. You may also want to look at the Digital SLR forum, or the Camera Manufacturer forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital Camera Reviews >>
Digital Camera Buyers Guide >>

Tasty Burgers – Eating my way through the GTA's burger

Tip 500g beef mince into a bowl with 1 small diced onion and 1 egg, then mix. Divide the mixture into four. Lightly wet your hands. Carefully roll the mixture into balls, each about the size of a tennis ball. Set in the palm of your hand and gently squeeze down to flatten into patties about 3cm thick. Make sure all the burgers are the same thickness so that they will cook evenly.Put on a plate, cover with cling film and leave in the fridge to firm up for at least 30 mins. Heat the barbecue to medium hot (there will be white ash over the red hot coals – about 40 mins after lighting). Lightly brush one side of each burger with vegetable oil.Place the burgers, oil-side down, on the barbecue. Cook for 5 mins until the meat is lightly charred. Don’t move them around or they may stick.Oil the other side, then turn over using tongs. Don’t press down on the meat, as that will squeeze out the juices.Cook for 5 mins more for medium. If you like your burgers pink in the middle, cook 1 min less each side. For well done, cook 1 min more.

Re: Tasty Burgers – Eating my way through the GTA's burger

Quote Originally Posted by carnachpace View Post
    Tip 500g beef mince into a bowl with 1 small diced onion and 1 egg, then mix. Divide the mixture into four. Lightly wet your hands. Carefully roll the mixture into balls, each about the size of a tennis ball. Set in the palm of your hand and gently squeeze down to flatten into patties about 3cm thick. Make sure all the burgers are the same thickness so that they will cook evenly.Put on a plate, cover with cling film and leave in the fridge to firm up for at least 30 mins. Heat the barbecue to medium hot (there will be white ash over the red hot coals – about 40 mins after lighting). Lightly brush one side of each burger with vegetable oil.Place the burgers, oil-side down, on the barbecue. Cook for 5 mins until the meat is lightly charred. Don’t move them around or they may stick.Oil the other side, then turn over using tongs. Don’t press down on the meat, as that will squeeze out the juices.Cook for 5 mins more for medium. If you like your burgers pink in the middle, cook 1 min less each side. For well done, cook 1 min more.
    Take the burgers off the barbecue. Leave to rest on a plate so that all the juices can settle inside.Slice four burger buns in half. Place, cut-side down, on the barbecue rack and toast for 1 min until they are lightly charred. Place a burger inside each bun, then top with your choice of accompaniment.I fried them in a little sunflower oil, which is less healthy but avoids the danger of dryness. I also gave them a moderate coating of burger spice powder. The main danger with this recipe is chopping the onions too coarsely. I did that the first time and the burgers came apart.

So many local restaurants serving classic American cuisine offer hamburgers on their menu. Luckily for me, I get to try more burgers than ever before. One recent lunch took me to KP’s Kitchen, a hidden gem in Spring Branch. Known for their chef-driven menu, I was eager to get my mouth around their version. I am pleased to share that I was not disappointed. Owner Kerry Pauly definitely knows a thing or two about burgers! Their KP Burger met all my taste expectations with two patties - a mixture of 70/30 ground beef - simply prepared and topped with tAmerican cheese, smoked bacon, and dijonnaise. The star was the two thin patties, as it should be, with a nice flavor and flowing juices along with a nicely charred outside. Taking a bite of the meat alone brought me to my happy burger place. The cheese could have been placed on the burger as it was cooking to provide better melting; however, that corrected itself as I ate the burger. The bacon added little to the overall experience, so I will ask them to 86 that addition on my next visit. It's all about the meat!

A side of fries accompanying the burger were freshly cut thinner morsels seasoned with the right amount of salt and pepper, along with a crunchier texture and tender middle. Service was attentive and personal with Pauley himself stopping by my table to make sure I was enjoying my meal. That personal touch makes a difference, and I look forward to future burgers at KP’s Kitchen.

This burger is one of a kind. The centerpiece, as it should be on any burger, are the two 44 Farms patties - juicy and tender with a charred and crusty exterior. Complimenting the patty perfection was nicely melted American cheese, chili aioli (for a nice spicy twist), pickles and onions topped with a sweet Hawaiian bun, which has become a popular bun for burgers creating a nice hint of sweetness to contrast with the other flavors on a burger. They also offer a myriad of toppings you can add for a small charge including fried egg, avocado, and bacon jam. Yes, bacon jam, which I highly recommend! I added that to my burger, thus thrusting me to burger heaven!

Their sides and small plates offerings are plentiful. Instead of their fantastic fries, on my last visit I paired my burger with the aforementioned and uniquely prepared Sweet and Sour Cauliflower. I didn’t even miss the fries! Check them out on your next visit to Toasted Coconut. Along with their great food and friendly service, TC has a stellar cocktail list for the libation of your choice. Or, ask them to surprise you - they are extremely creative!

I’ve been at this for almost a decade now, so for the most part, these reviews basically write themselves (what’s that? The reviews all feel like I’m writing them on autopilot? Yeah, that’s fair). But burgers like the one they serve at St. James’s Gate — good, but not noteworthy in any way — are probably the toughest to review.It’s a solid burger. It exists. There’s nothing majorly wrong with it. I don’t know.The Royale with Cheese, according to the menu: “Twin four ounce brisket burgers stacked with melted American cheese, Havarti, secret sauce and bread and butter pickles.”Is it the best burger I’ve ever had? No, absolutely not. Did it offend me in any way? Also no. It’s good.

There are many burger variations, but the most common type is the hamburger. A hamburger is made from ground beef that has been formed into a patty and then grilled. There are many different types of burgers, but the most common are the cheeseburger, the bacon burger, and the chicken burger.

Thread Information