Digital Cameras Forum

Digital Cameras Forum Discuss compact digital cameras or ask general digital photography questions - what camera to buy, memory cards, digital camera accessories, etc. You may also want to look at the Digital SLR forum, or the Camera Manufacturer forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital Camera Reviews >>
Digital Camera Buyers Guide >>
    Liz

Suggestions for dig P&S I can carry around

Income tax time.....enough refund to get a digital p&s. Lately I've missed many opportunities to get a good shot as I don't always have the Rebel with me, especially in this freezing wet weather. I'd like something small & light that I can always have with me, just in case.

Probably prefer Canon, but not absolute - at any rate, needs to use compact flash regardless of brand and be as good as Canon digitals are on batteries.

Some criteria - listed in order of most important (to me) features
    Use Compact flash
    Good optical quality
    Small but not tiny (a little smaller than G2/3).
    About 4mp
    easy to view LCD (not too small)
    Decent zoom
    About $400 give or take $50 or so.

Are there any dig waterproofs out there that are any good? Or something I wouldn't be afraid to use in wet weather. This is not a priority, just curious. I wouldn't pay a whole lot extra for it.

Thanks for any help.

Liz

Liz

BTW, checked reviews, prices at B&H......just

wanted some input and/or personal experience from you guys here.

Thanks. ;)

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by Liz
    Income tax time.....enough refund to get a digital p&s. Lately I've missed many opportunities to get a good shot as I don't always have the Rebel with me, especially in this freezing wet weather. I'd like something small & light that I can always have with me, just in case.

Probably prefer Canon, but not absolute - at any rate, needs to use compact flash regardless of brand and be as good as Canon digitals are on batteries.

Use Compact flash
    Good optical quality
    About 4mp
    Decent zoom

Are there any dig waterproofs out there that are any good? Or something I wouldn't be afraid to use in wet weather. This is not a priority, just curious. I wouldn't pay a whole lot extra for it.

Thanks for any help.

Liz

Use Compact flash
    Good optical quality
    About 4mp
    Decent zoom
    Hi Liz,

Olympus has come out with a digital version of the Stylus Epic. I think it meets most of your criteria, but if I'm not mistaken, it uses the xD memory card not CF. The 4MP model is in stock at B&H and after a $40.00 rebate you'll pay $299.95. I'll include the link below. With the money you'll save, you can buy an extra xD card or two!

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...=273699&is=REG

Like you, I just got a nice little refund and decided to get a digital camera.. I went with a D100 though. If all goes as planned, it'll arrive mid-next week and I'll have it when I take my boys out to Zion National Park and Las Vegas (we have family flying into Vegas for the long weekend so we are driving out to see them) over Presidents Day weekend.

Be sure to keep us posted on your choice!
    Nikon Samurai #3

A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true
    friend will be sitting next to you saying, "Damn...that was fun!"

http://brians4x4adventures.com
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/brianliles/
    http://www.facebook.com/brianliles

Sitting in a Leaky Dingy Michael Fanelli's Avatar
    Use Compact flash
    Good optical quality
    About 4mp
    Decent zoom

Thanks for any help.

Liz
    For waterproof, Pentax has a relatively new digital version of their WR weather-proof cameras. Olympus has their Epics which don't measure up to the Pentax weatherproofing but are probably more than adequate.

Of course, I don't worry about it much and have never had a problem with rain or snow with my "normal" pocket cameras.. If the Canon S400 is too small, the S45 is a great camera. Small but not tiny.
    "Every great decision creates ripples--like a huge boulder dropped in a lake. The ripples merge and rebound off the banks in unforseeable ways.

Liz

Thanks Brian.......

I'll check the Epic out. The D100...WOW....great choice! Congratulations.

Have fun with your boys at the Zion N Pk and Las Vegas. And don't forget to share your picture with us.

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by Kokopeli
    Hi Liz,

Olympus has come out with a digital version of the Stylus Epic. I think it meets most of your criteria, but if I'm not mistaken, it uses the xD memory card not CF. The 4MP model is in stock at B&H and after a $40.00 rebate you'll pay $299.95. I'll include the link below. With the money you'll save, you can buy an extra xD card or two!

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...=273699&is=REG

Like you, I just got a nice little refund and decided to get a digital camera.. I went with a D100 though. If all goes as planned, it'll arrive mid-next week and I'll have it when I take my boys out to Zion National Park and Las Vegas (we have family flying into Vegas for the long weekend so we are driving out to see them) over Presidents Day weekend.

Be sure to keep us posted on your choice!

Liz

Good points......worry? who me?

Hi Michael,

Thanks for the suggestions and information. Actually, I shouldn't be looking for waterproof, and decide not to worry. I think I get too careful sometimes; however, I'd rather be a little compulsive about taking care of the Rebel. But I actually only want a camera to have available and not have to think about scratching, dust, etc....etc...

I checked out the Canons, but didn't think about the S45. Actually I didn't see it at B&H. Do they still sell it?

I'll check around.

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Fanelli
    For waterproof, Pentax has a relatively new digital version of their WR weather-proof cameras. Olympus has their Epics which don't measure up to the Pentax weatherproofing but are probably more than adequate.

Of course, I don't worry about it much and have never had a problem with rain or snow with my "normal" pocket cameras.. If the Canon S400 is too small, the S45 is a great camera. Small but not tiny.

s45

Hi Liz,

I'm also looking at the S45. I found one at Buy.com for $379.99. Broadway.com has one for $294. and A&M photoworld has one for $285.00. But the last two are refurbished models.

$294 and $285 seem to be good deals but getting a refurbished model vs new. I don't know ????

Dennis

Hi Michael,

Thanks for the suggestions and information. Actually, I shouldn't be looking for waterproof, and decide not to worry. I think I get too careful sometimes; however, I'd rather be a little compulsive about taking care of the Rebel. But I actually only want a camera to have available and not have to think about scratching, dust, etc....etc...

I checked out the Canons, but didn't think about the S45. Actually I didn't see it at B&H. Do they still sell it?

I'll check around.

Liz

What does this button do? Ooops. JDub's Avatar
    Hi Michael,

I'll check around.

Liz
    I have the S40 and it is an amazing little camera. It is small enough to carry easily, but its pretty full of features (full manual) and shoots with great quality. I don't think you can go wrong with the the S45.

Let me know if you would like to see some sample shots from my S40 (if you haven't seen enough samples already).

Thread Information