Digital Cameras Forum

Digital Cameras Forum Discuss compact digital cameras or ask general digital photography questions - what camera to buy, memory cards, digital camera accessories, etc. You may also want to look at the Digital SLR forum, or the Camera Manufacturer forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital Camera Reviews >>
Digital Camera Buyers Guide >>

Does This Feature Exist ? ......

and if so, whats it called so I know what to look for in my camera purchase.

Newbie here of course. But I've taken enough pics to know I would like this feature for when I'm taking pics of models.

The girls like to be able to see in real time (like they do on their cell phones) what they are looking like as they strike the pose, as it allows them to get that expression and pose they lookin for in less takes. FOr this, it seems simple enough to link a monitor (or iPad, or any screen) up to the camera via actual cable or blutooth and have that feed a live real time image of what I see in the lens, then always have that screen facing them but by the camera, so they can see it and VIOLA !!

In this day and age, I am sure this exists. So what is it called ? And which cameras have it ? Or any recommendations ? Cause I can also think of a few hundred other reasons why this is a great feature and how I could put it to use..

Thanks !

JD

Re: Does This Feature Exist ? ......

Welcome to PhotographyREVIEW.com, Joel!

Yes, that features exists. Originally it was only available in high-end digital SLRs, where it's called "tethered shooting." Basically, you use the HDMI output on the camera to plug into a monitor to so you can use the monitor to see through the camera lens.

With the new generation of Wi-Fi-enabled cameras, you can now use your Smart Phone or a tablet to see what the camera sees. You just need a camera with built-in Wi-Fi and the manufacturer's mobile app. I haven't used them much yet but they seem to work pretty well. You don't see the same quality on the phone or tablet as you do on the camera's LCD display, and there's a bit of lag. But it's still pretty cool.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Quote Originally Posted by Photo-John View Post
    Welcome to PhotographyREVIEW.com, Joel!

Yes, that features exists. Originally it was only available in high-end digital SLRs, where it's called "tethered shooting." Basically, you use the HDMI output on the camera to plug into a monitor to so you can use the monitor to see through the camera lens.

With the new generation of Wi-Fi-enabled cameras, you can now use your Smart Phone or a tablet to see what the camera sees. You just need a camera with built-in Wi-Fi and the manufacturer's mobile app. I haven't used them much yet but they seem to work pretty well. You don't see the same quality on the phone or tablet as you do on the camera's LCD display, and there's a bit of lag. But it's still pretty cool.
    Hey thanks so much Photo-John for giving me this info. Guess thats what I'll be looking for then :-) Wanting to go with a good high quality camera, that does this, thinking Cannon, as I've always heard great things about them. I've had a Sony Cyber-Shot for like 10 years now - LOL, time to replace it and I want to go (almost) "all out" with a great camera, thats interchangeable with quality lenses, etc..

Hey, I guess you caused a branch question here. Now, does this lag time and quality degradation only happen if using the Wifi and Mobile app approach ? As in, if I were to make sure to get a Camera with HDMI out, and use that instead of WiFi and the Mobile app, would I then get no to less lag time and a higher quality ? Or no ? Is it the same for both ?

Cause HDMI is capable of little to no lag and also full blu-ray level data, so kinda figuring it should be able to do the job with no lag and full quality.

Even on some older cameras there is a remote viewer plug. I used to hook it up to my VCR (remember those) to use the camera as a TV camera and record images on tape.

To be honest, Joel, I've never actually used a tethered camera. But I assume using the HDMI out there would be no lag. Shooting tethered also allows you to control the camera from your computer. That's actually the main reason it was invented - so studio photographers could accurately check color and exposure while working in the studio.

Here's a list of cameras that can be used with Adobe Lightroom for tethered shooting: Tethered camera support | Lightroom 5, 4, 3
    Photo-John

Thanks guys ! John, the list helped greatly, basically, I'm gonna buy one of those Cannons. Just need to decide which one.

JD

Quote Originally Posted by Joel_D View Post
    Thanks guys ! John, the list helped greatly, basically, I'm gonna buy one of those Cannons. Just need to decide which one.
    Cool! Start a new thread on the Canon forum. Tell us what your budget is and how you plan to use the camera and we'll help you pick the right camera
    Photo-John

Just for clarification, there are three different concepts being discussed here. These are my 'terms' for them, but they are used loosely by everyone.

- Monitor - Seeing the image before the capture. Most 'tethering' does not include monitoring. This would be the HDMI out to a TV or monitor (not to a computer).

- Remote control - Operating the camera from the computer/smart phone, etc. Requires special software/App. Often included with 'tethering'.

- Tethering - Seeing the image after it is captured. Usually some sort of USB/WiFi connection - NOT HDMI. Some implementations take as long as 20 seconds for the image to pop up and others less than 2 seconds. Be sure that you know what you are getting.

Terry
    -----------------
    I am no better than you. I critique to teach myself to see.
    -----------------
    Feel free to edit my photos or do anything else that will help me learn.
    -----------------
    Sony/Minolta - way more gear than talent.

Quote Originally Posted by OldClicker View Post
    Just for clarification, there are three different concepts being discussed here. These are my 'terms' for them, but they are used loosely by everyone.

- Monitor - Seeing the image before the capture. Most 'tethering' does not include monitoring. This would be the HDMI out to a TV or monitor (not to a computer).

- Remote control - Operating the camera from the computer/smart phone, etc. Requires special software/App. Often included with 'tethering'.

- Tethering - Seeing the image after it is captured. Usually some sort of USB/WiFi connection - NOT HDMI. Some implementations take as long as 20 seconds for the image to pop up and others less than 2 seconds. Be sure that you know what you are getting.

Terry
    Terry, thanks for this clarification. As I did not know this and it is a big difference if I were to get one and not the other.

For me, all 3 would be cool, but if I can't have all 3 in one camera, then in order of importance for me I need

1 - Monitoring (utmost important for me)
    2 - Remote Control (to be able to check for and adjust to optimum levels of color, exposure, etc.. before pic is taken)
    3 - Tethering (not sure if this is in conjunction with 2 or actually only for "seeing the image after it is captured")

Also, I want to add that you guys are light years ahead of me. I am no real photographer, and to be honest, if it weren't for technology and new digital cameras, I probably wouldn't even be taking pics. lol I do no do this professionally, as I am a musician/producer/songwriter by profession.

Its just when I do things, I like to do them right with the best equipment and if I run into features/things I wish I had or notice would help when I'm using my old gear, then I'll run out and buy what I need to make my day more pleasant. So here I am, needing to replace my old Sony CyberShot cause I want real time monitoring for some of my subjects.

Cool! Start a new thread on the Canon forum. Tell us what your budget is and how you plan to use the camera and we'll help you pick the right camera
    Good idea John. Will do. Before I post there though, Cannon is good right ? If not the best ? Thats what I've seem to get from the "crowd" out there.

All the camera makers have their pros and cons, Joel. For the past couple of years I've been recommending Sony DSLRs to new system buyers. I'm sure Sony also offers some kind of tethered shooting, especially with their top-of-the-line pro model, the SLT-A99. It probably would be a good idea if you based your decision on more than just tethered shooting. If you're curious about Sony, here's a general article I did about their DSLRs earlier this year:

Why Your Next DSLR Should Be A Sony >>

Sorry if that complicated your plans
    Photo-John

All the camera makers have their pros and cons, Joel. For the past couple of years I've been recommending Sony DSLRs to new system buyers. I'm sure Sony also offers some kind of tethered shooting, especially with their top-of-the-line pro model, the SLT-A99. It probably would be a good idea if you based your decision on more than just tethered shooting. If you're curious about Sony, here's a general article I did about their DSLRs earlier this year:

Why Your Next DSLR Should Be A Sony >>

Sorry if that complicated your plans
    Didn't complicate things at all John, and thanks for giving me suggestions as I really appreciate it. I actually love Sony products, and my current camera is a old Sony CyberShot from about 8 years ago. LOL. SO I am familiar with Sony cameras somewhat. I even got a pretty awesome wide angle lens for it as well.

The reason I was going to go for Canon this time is because to my understanding you have more lens options with a Canon, and the compatible lenses are superior. This of course is just what I've loosely heard though, and no real solid for sure statements on it.

Is that true ? Cause actually I am doing as you said, I am basing my decision on a lot more than just the live view monitoring and tethering. Though them things are now a must on my next camera purchase, the main decision is being based on quality of lenses offered and how many of them are compatible (more options). Also quality of build of the body of the camera and well as obviously quality and very "feel" of the nature of its pics. (every piece of equipment has its own characteristics of how it does what it does, etc..).

From my research (though could be wrong) I was under the assumption Canon was the best. But would LOVE to hear what others had to say about this.

JD

Thread Information