• 07-02-2004, 08:29 PM
    seaklaus@mac.com
    Sony F828 Mac OS X Raw Files Troubleshooting
    I upgraded my F717 to the F828, BECAUSE it was touted as fully Mac OS X compatible, and I can shoot in RAW format. That said, I am having a Dickens of a time upgrading the camera's firmware (which I am supposed to do according to Sony) and working with the Image Data Converter which Sony has just send to me. I also should mention that I can't connect the camera successfully and have to use a flashcard reader. Now the problem is that I can't get the files to open in Photoshop. This is getting to be very frustrating. I just want to send the damn thing back and buy the Canon EOS 10D instead. My goal is to shoot RAW files and work them in Mac OS X and Photoshop 7.01 Any advice on this? Am I barking up the wrong tree?
  • 07-02-2004, 10:33 PM
    girlieleep
    OK, as a Camera RAW user and a Sony fan before switching to DSLR, here's what I recommend.

If money's not a problem, pay the $169 to upgrade your Photoshop to CS. The improved File Browser is awesome, allowing you to batch, rename, and mark photos within it.

CS supports the Camera RAW and it works well on Mac OS X.
  • 07-02-2004, 11:40 PM
    Peter_AUS
    Photoshop 7 didn't came with the raw file converter you had to purchase that as an extra, it is included as girlieleep said in the current Photoshop CS which you will find much better and it has a few very good extras in there as well, like shadow/highlight adjustments.

It might be worth looking at that http://www.c1dslr.com and it is compatible with Mac. The Sony isn't compatible with capture one software at present but according to a posting http://www.pictureflow.com/forum/sho...ight=sony+F828 it might be compatible with the software in October scheduled update or sooner.

Have a look at the trial version, it lasts for 15 - 30 days, differnet pricing stuctures as well, from $99 upwards. I am waiting until it is compatible with Canon G3 RAW images and saving to buy the PRO version which is $499US at present.
  • 07-03-2004, 09:02 PM
    seaklaus@mac.com
    More Guru advice, please
    Thanks for thinking along the same RAW/Sony lines. I do believe that the upgrade to Photoshop CS is the elegant solution. What advice do you have for a guy who shoots ship's sides on the fly? I have been working with the Sony F717, but I needed more detail, so I bought the F828 with the RAW file capacity. The CS upgrade will take care of the rest. I also work with a Canon EOS 650, shooting 35mm slides on 400 Ektachrome, with a 75-300 Image Stabilizer lens. So far so good. Now I am looking at a Polaroid 4000 slide scanner to get the images into Photoshop. Do you have any thoughts on the slide scanner? I calculated that the Polaroid bumps the image to 60+ megs. It sounds happy to me, but should I be happier? Anyway, that's where your advice comes in. Also, if you like to take a peek at my work, go to
    http://www.eyeoftheart.com/KlausLange YOUR criticism is greatly appreciated.

Quote:

Originally Posted by girlieleep
    OK, as a Camera RAW user and a Sony fan before switching to DSLR, here's what I recommend.

If money's not a problem, pay the $169 to upgrade your Photoshop to CS. The improved File Browser is awesome, allowing you to batch, rename, and mark photos within it.

CS supports the Camera RAW and it works well on Mac OS X.