Digital Cameras Forum

Digital Cameras Forum Discuss compact digital cameras or ask general digital photography questions - what camera to buy, memory cards, digital camera accessories, etc. You may also want to look at the Digital SLR forum, or the Camera Manufacturer forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital Camera Reviews >>
Digital Camera Buyers Guide >>

So, what new digital subcompact will out-do my old Canon S400

Hi guys. I bought a Canon S400 a couple of days after it was released, and have happily taken thousands of photos with it ever since. It takes remarkably good photos by any consumer-level standard, but especially for a digital sub-compact. Unfortunately, it is starting to get buggy on me. It'll randomly tell me I have a "memory card error" and not let me take or review any pictures. Later it'll be fine again. It happens with any combination of batteries and memory cards I have, although it is more prone to happening when it is cold.

Anyway, I can't depend on this camera anymore, so it is time to get something new. I already have extra compact flash cards and batteries, so i was thinking of staying with this model. You're also hard pressed to find another subcompact with so many features and such good quality. I also might up the MP and go with the S500 instead. Still, this camera has been out for almost three years, so it seems like there must be something better out there.

I was going to go for the Canon SD series, but I hear their reliability problems are even worse. Their lens isn't supposed to be as good, and the LCD is supposed to be particularly susceptible to damage. I'd prefer to have at least as many features on my new camera as with the S400 (ISO controls, many white balance and flash options, exposures of several seconds when need- up to 15 on the S400, 3x zoom, and automatic picture orientation sensor)

Have any S400 users reading this made upgrades? What did you get, and what comparissons would you make?

Thanks for the advice.
    -@dam

Lots

Check out my review for the Casio Exilim EX-Z750. I think the 7-megapixel sensor is the best thing around right now, whether you get it in the Casio, the Canon, Sony or any other flavor you like.

Here are links to two pro reviews for 7-megapixel cameras:

Casio Exilim EX-Z750 >>
    Sony Cyber-shot DSC-W7 >>

And here's a link to a post I made yesterday about the "ultimate digital point-and-shoot:" The Ultimate Digital P&S?
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Thread Information