Digital Cameras Forum

Digital Cameras Forum Discuss compact digital cameras or ask general digital photography questions - what camera to buy, memory cards, digital camera accessories, etc. You may also want to look at the Digital SLR forum, or the Camera Manufacturer forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital Camera Reviews >>
Digital Camera Buyers Guide >>

Slow shutter responce, what's faster?

I presently own a Sony DSC-S75. It takes great pictures. But I'm missing a lot during sporting events. The delay in the shutter, from the time you press the button, till the actual picture is taken, is a little slow. For still shots of landscape or people standing still, it's not a problem. I'm interested in a faster responce. Was told the ONLY way to go are the digital SLR format. Finding them to be $1000 and up. Is there anything in the $500-800 range that will have a fast shutter responce? How about the Nikon Coolpix 5700. Is it any better. Or do I need to go even high in cost?

What does this button do? Ooops. JDub's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mroe
    I presently own a Sony DSC-S75. It takes great pictures. But I'm missing a lot during sporting events. The delay in the shutter, from the time you press the button, till the actual picture is taken, is a little slow. For still shots of landscape or people standing still, it's not a problem. I'm interested in a faster responce. Was told the ONLY way to go are the digital SLR format. Finding them to be $1000 and up. Is there anything in the $500-800 range that will have a fast shutter responce? How about the Nikon Coolpix 5700. Is it any better. Or do I need to go even high in cost?

For starters, you've got to ensure that you are prefocusing. If so and the shutter lag is bad then you should probably look for something else. However if you aren't prefocusing that can be all the difference.

For instance, I have a Canon S40 that when prefocused takes shots with little to no shutter lag. However, if I don't prefocus, it can take over a second (often with poor results) to try and lock on to a moving target. By prefocusing, I mean picking a spot on the ground, tree on the side of the path, etc that will be the same distance as the object you are trying to photograph. Once you pick the spot, depress the shutter half way to lock the focus and then keep it held down till the subject you are trying to capture gets to that point, then press it down fully. Its worked tremendously for me in the past for mountain biking events.

Jdub nailed it, the focus is what's slowing you down. Prefocusing should make a BIG difference.
    -Seb

My website

(Please don't edit and repost my images without my permission. Thank you)

How to tell the most experienced shooter in a group? They have the least amount of toys on them.

Just got out the credit card. WOW! Sure blew $1400 in a hurry. But What beautiful shots. and............. IT'S FAST. Got the Canon EOS Rebel 300D. Wife's attending a sporting event this Saturday. Will let ya all know.

Liz

Talking Congratulations!

I own the Rebel and it's awesome. You'll be very happy! Good decision. Post some of those pics! ;)

Liz

Just got out the credit card. WOW! Sure blew $1400 in a hurry. But What beautiful shots. and............. IT'S FAST. Got the Canon EOS Rebel 300D. Wife's attending a sporting event this Saturday. Will let ya all know.

Shutter lag

Hi:

I use the Minolta G500 at 5 megapixels, which is quite small in size. The shutter lag is only 1/10 of a second without pre-focusing. I have been able to use it for shooting a basketball game in a gym without flash and got some great action shoots.

Ronnoco

Thread Information