Digital Cameras Forum

Digital Cameras Forum Discuss compact digital cameras or ask general digital photography questions - what camera to buy, memory cards, digital camera accessories, etc. You may also want to look at the Digital SLR forum, or the Camera Manufacturer forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital Camera Reviews >>
Digital Camera Buyers Guide >>

Show us your travel setup.

I'm looking for ideas and motivation. I have a trip coming where family of 5, small planes and other factors mean travel light.

I'm trying to limit gear to 70D, 18-135 STM, 1 flash, shotgun mic, and and travel tripod. The smaller 430 vs 580 flash will probably get the nod, same for the Joby SLR size tripod over a smaller one I have. Would prefer 15 Retina vs 13 Air laptop.

I'm torn between putting wrapped camera items in messenger style brief case or smaller backpack made for camera and laptop.

My habit is carry SLR and flash in cases within other packs - large CamelBak or brief case or day pack.

This new Mountainsmith looks good where laptop sleeve could hold drink bladder and I'd have a pack that would have camera access without taking it off. Add an obvious advantage for travel - clearly computer (always carry on) and clearly a camera bag (always considered a personal item).

Mountainsmith Spectrum Camera Backpack

This item with messenger bag or a briefcase looks interesting but that one linked above would offer easy access while on the move.

Snoop Camera Insert | Camera Bag Insert | Camera Case - Timbuk2 Bags

I'll consider one of ultra wide or long zoom (10-22 or 70-200) once the basics are all packed. This is making me really glad I upgraded my 17-85 IS USM to the 18-135 STM.

Travel was clearly easier before modern airlines and owning a business and 3 kids!

Re: Show us your travel setup.

Funny you should say that. I was just about to make my list for Christmas: 1 week in England + 1 week in Budapest. Never been to Hungary in wintertime so it is the opportunity to do some serious shooting:

- Lowepro Flipside 400AW backpack. I prefer a messanger bag but I get a backache after half a day
    - Nikon D7100 + 18-140 (both are fairly new to me - write a review when I get back)
    - Tamron 11-18 (for interiors)
    - Nikon SB400 flash (tiny but at least the head can be pointed up)
    - Sony RX100 (for occasions when I'm not actually shooting like at night)

This lot goes with me in the cabin. No daybag. Everything else goes in the hold.
    Charles

Nikon D800, D7200, Sony RX100m3
    Not buying any more gear this year. I hope

Quote Originally Posted by Franglais View Post
    Funny you should say that. I was just about to make my list for Christmas: 1 week in England + 1 week in Budapest. Never been to Hungary in wintertime so it is the opportunity to do some serious shooting:

- Lowepro Flipside 400AW backpack. I prefer a messanger bag but I get a backache after half a day
    - Nikon D7100 + 18-140 (both are fairly new to me - write a review when I get back)
    - Tamron 11-18 (for interiors)
    - Nikon SB400 flash (tiny but at least the head can be pointed up)
    - Sony RX100 (for occasions when I'm not actually shooting like at night)

This lot goes with me in the cabin. No daybag. Everything else goes in the hold.
    Thanks for the update.

I have an older LowePro AW series with one strap wearing out and it can only hold my MacBook Air.

I returned a larger Mountainsmith for the one linked below, and got my first wheeled carry on type luggage after 20ish years of carrying a soft type Patagonia MLC that won't die.

The fast run across a big airport with that trusty old but no wheels Patagonia and a personal pack or bag got a bit old.

The smaller Mountainsmith really is kind of small but I see potential and I'm considering camera inserts for another pack I own.

Your point on the messenger bag carry is strong in my mind. I've had it where I'd really rather have a pack for some distances carried.

For now I think I'll go with that small new Mountainsmith model, personal items in it, and gate check the new wheeled type bag. The new Mountainsmith Spectrum 2014 is a bit small but I see advantages where the laptop sleeve will hold a camelbak bladder, it will have access to SLR without taking the pack off. Then obviously the advantage of being with you when you're on the tiny planes that are sometimes the only choice for first or last hop on a journey.

FWIW: Checking policy for TSA and the airlines I'm most likely to use all show computer and camera bag as allowed personal items. The small Mountainsmith will do to have your toiletries, underwear and a swim suit with minimal camera stuff. That with gate check of the other bag should be fine.

I've taken some age reality in account here. I'm not likely to travel with my avy shovel anymore. Middle of 5th decade has brought my first car with automatic transmission and first piece of wheeled luggage.

Suitcases with rollers are the only way. I have an ultralight 67cm model. Usually I manage to keep it under 12 kilos.

The only thing that bothers me about the Mountainsmith bag is the access from the side. Its fine if you're hiking but in cities its an invitation for pickpockets.
    Charles

Quote Originally Posted by Franglais View Post
    The only thing that bothers me about the Mountainsmith bag is the access from the side. Its fine if you're hiking but in cities its an invitation for pickpockets.
    Precisely why I have not taken the tags off of my new purchase and why I might still carry a different set up for an upcoming trip. OTOH, the camera (70D) still fights tight in the zip door which is a surprise. Maybe effort to get it out is so it will not fall out with ease or get stolen???

The paradox of choice? This was never difficult many years ago when there were not so many product choices. I recall simple camera bags, basic hiking day packs, and suit cases.

what good camera strap you can recommend that i can use for travel if i am using D700 and 70-200mm? knowing its a bit heavy..hehe

Certainly not something written "Nikon - come and steal me" in big yellow letters.

I have a noname wide black neoprene strap fitted on all my big cameras. It's soft and stretchy and made out of the same stuff as wet suits for diving. Costs less than $20.

Here's an example:

Neoprene DSLR Camera Strap - Black
    Charles

Thread Information