SDHC Card Class

Printable View

• 08-30-2011, 09:02 AM
    hawkeye62
    SDHC Card Class
    One question I have about SDHC Card speed is what practical impact on use of a camera does card speed have? What would I notice in using my camera with a SDHC Class 2 card versus a Class 10 Card?

I realize there might be a difference in how long it takes to transfer photos from the camera to my PC, but how about time between shots, or other impacts on using the camera.

Thanks for any insight, Jim
  • 08-30-2011, 09:54 AM
    Anbesol
    Re: SDHC Card Class
    Before the data files are written to the memory card they go through a file buffer, then are written to the card. Faster cards can clear the file buffer more quickly. But, you won't notice any difference in cycle time until you FILL the file buffer, and thus que your next shot. Faster cards can also help in playback and viewing on your camera as well. The size of the buffer varies by camera, some may be able to consecutively shoot 10 raw or 25 jpegs before the buffer is full. Look up your camera model to find out its particular limit

In my opinion, people make a bigger deal out of the "high speed" designation than it merits. I'm more concerned about size and reliability than speed.

Also, SD's fastest is now an I-UHS class or something along those lines.
  • 08-30-2011, 02:19 PM
    hawkeye62
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Anbesol View Post
    Before the data files are written to the memory card they go through a file buffer, then are written to the card. Faster cards can clear the file buffer more quickly. But, you won't notice any difference in cycle time until you FILL the file buffer, and thus que your next shot. Faster cards can also help in playback and viewing on your camera as well. The size of the buffer varies by camera, some may be able to consecutively shoot 10 raw or 25 jpegs before the buffer is full. Look up your camera model to find out its particular limit

In my opinion, people make a bigger deal out of the "high speed" designation than it merits. I'm more concerned about size and reliability than speed.

Also, SD's fastest is now an I-UHS class or something along those lines.

Thanks for your thoughtful reply. I am a little confused because my camera can shoot at 10 shots per second, but is limited to 5 shots per "burst". Yet it can shoot 1080p video at 30 frames per second. And it has some other mode that shoots at 240 frames per second for slow motion effects.

The camera is a Nikon Coolpix P500, which should be delivered Thursday. And I have two Lexar 16 GB class 10 cards due the same day.

I have struggled to decide between the Nikon and the Panasonic Lumix FZ47. I am going to give the Nikon a test drive and return it if I am not satisfied.

Thanjs again, Jim
  • 08-30-2011, 05:17 PM
    Anbesol
    The file sizes will be similar among all of those, in rate per second, because they are unique resolutions. But yes, the duration of extended continuous shooting of any of those modes will be enhanced some by higher speed cards. 1080p takes up a lot of space, the video length max is limited first by the buffer, second by the speed card.
  • 08-30-2011, 05:38 PM
    hawkeye62
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Anbesol View Post
    The file sizes will be similar among all of those, in rate per second, because they are unique resolutions. But yes, the duration of extended continuous shooting of any of those modes will be enhanced some by higher speed cards. 1080p takes up a lot of space, the video length max is limited first by the buffer, second by the speed card.

Thanks again Anbesol. Great insight!

Regards, Jim