Digital Cameras Forum

Digital Cameras Forum Discuss compact digital cameras or ask general digital photography questions - what camera to buy, memory cards, digital camera accessories, etc. You may also want to look at the Digital SLR forum, or the Camera Manufacturer forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital Camera Reviews >>
Digital Camera Buyers Guide >>

Which camera is better, Nikon or Canon?

I have Canon SD750 and I don't like how the flash is very excessive and the night pics don't work too well. I've never had a Nikon before but I've seen some pics from it and it looked pretty good, but I'm not sure. I'm going for a cheaper camera now cuz it seems they don't overdo the flash, am I right? Please help me choose! :\

Looking for: no excessive flash, clear picture, good night pics
    If you know another brand that's very good (under $200) let me know.

Re: Which camera is better, Nikon or Canon?

There's a lot more to managing the flash than just picking a different camera. A lot depends on distance from the subject, number and intensity of lights in the background (throwing light into the camera's meter but not onto the subject), and a bunch of other factors. What is it that you dont like about your current flash? Could you post an example? The fix may be as easy as taking a couple steps back and zooming in, instead of getting right up close, or taping a small piece of milk carton material over the flash as a diffuser to soften the harsh shadows.

GB1

Both are good camera manufacturers, but neither is perfect.

I have a very expensive Nikon SLR, the D200, and it's 'over flashing' is one of my biggest complaints with it, too. So I think Nikon also has that problem. It has the capability to reduce or increase the flash output by up to (I think) 3 f stops. I usually leave it at -1 for normal night shots, then adjust it for over situations like fill flash.

I have a Canon point and shoot that I got for under $200, think it's the sure shot, and I like it's default flash.
    Photography Software and Post Processing Forum Moderator. Visit here!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Feel free to edit and repost my photos as part of your critique.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Site

Night photos and flash exposure are two of the most difficult things a camera can be asked to do. And learning how to get the best results from your camera is probably a better strategy than buying a new one. Chances are, whatever camera you buy will give you the exact same problem with those two things.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

I see the sd750 has manual settings for flash but not sure what that is.
    Don't just leave it to do its thing automatically but play with the settings.
    You'll learn when to do what.
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

I think you have to be realistic about any point and shoot flash. Those flashes are designed around small groups and portraits, so anything outside 10 feet or so and the flash dissipates rather rapidly.

Thread Information