Digital Cameras Forum

Digital Cameras Forum Discuss compact digital cameras or ask general digital photography questions - what camera to buy, memory cards, digital camera accessories, etc. You may also want to look at the Digital SLR forum, or the Camera Manufacturer forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital Camera Reviews >>
Digital Camera Buyers Guide >>

Rebel XS, Sony A300, or Cybershot DSC S980?

I'm new to the whole photo taking arena, but I want to take pictures of a trip I have in the winter. Currently I found pretty good deals on these cameras, after looking at flikr using the camera finder I found some amazing photos taken with the sony A300 but none with the XS or S980.
    Price wise I found the following:
    Canon Rebel XS - $400 12.1MP w/4x optical zoom
    Sony Alpha DSLR A300 - $330 10.2MP
    Sony Cybershot S980 - $84 10.1MP
    Samsung SL620 - $78 12.2MP w/5x optical zoom

I really just want to take photos that look like the ones below, if I could take a photo as beautiful as these with the S980 I'd rather save some money.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/ilovelo...za/4054743221/
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/albertitoglez/4071297889/
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/algo/3007460569/

Photos would probably just be left on my computer

Thanks in advance!

Re: Rebel XS, Sony A300, or Cybershot DSC S980?

"I really just want to take photos that look like the ones below,..." Who wouldn't???

With enough talent, years of experience and perfect conditions; these shots could be taken with any of these cameras. The better equipment allows the photographer to capture them even if the conditions aren't perfect, but you still need the talent and experience.

Of your choices, I would go with one of the DSLRs as long as you realize that you still need more.

The XS is a fine body with features many want and it sounds like it comes with a lens. These kit lenses usually aren't the best, but again the equipment just makes it easier to get the shot under worse conditions.

The A300 is another good body with the advantage of a very good Live View and in-body stabilization so that all you lenses will be stabilized.

I don't know your budget, but to get the shot you are looking at, I would go out on a limb and recommend (This assumes that there is no lens with the A300:
    - A300
    - Used 18-70mm f/3.5-5.6 DT kit lens ~$50 (or the newer, much nicer 18-55 kit - but will be more $)
    - Used Minolta 35-70 f/4 ~$50
    - Used Minolta 70-210 f/4 ~$200
    - Used Minolta 50 f/1.7 ~$60

TF
    -----------------
    I am no better than you. I critique to teach myself to see.
    -----------------
    Feel free to edit my photos or do anything else that will help me learn.
    -----------------
    Sony/Minolta - way more gear than talent.

Awesome, the A300 I was looking at includes the 18-70mm lens. I think I'll try to pick it up this week!

I admit I'm a Canon man. But I really do think Canon is making the best glass right now next to Nikon. And though Sony's Alpha series is a fine line, it's just a reimagined Minolta. I used to sell them and Minolta was consistently slow in focus and a second tier camera. They saw the handwriting on the wall and bailed out of the photography biz. Sony has definitely improved on what Minolta had. But do they outdo Canon? I just don't see it.

Thread Information