• 07-19-2011, 11:02 PM
    pedja
    Re: Please suggest a camera
    Im sorry for interrupting, but I dont know where to ask for help. I am wondering which camera would you recommend for under 170 dollars...
  • 07-20-2011, 04:41 AM
    Grandpaw
    Quote:

Originally Posted by pedja View Post
    Im sorry for interrupting, but I dont know where to ask for help. I am wondering which camera would you recommend for under 170 dollars...

I moved this here by itself so you will get a better answer. It would help if you would give us some idea of what you want to take pictures of, Jeff
  • 07-20-2011, 06:54 AM
    pedja
    Thanks, Jeff.
    Im here in USA for a couple of months and I want to take a pictures of cities and interesting things, like every other tourist does. So I need some decent camera but I dont want to spend a lot of money :)
  • 07-21-2011, 12:23 AM
    Anbesol
    Every other tourist? You are classifying yourself as the tourist stereotype then.

What I would personally get if I had $170 to throw to one camera: I'd find a recently discontinued Olympus Tough series camera, like the 6020 which can be found on EBay for ~160-170. Some best buys still have a supply and if they do, they are clearing them out @ ~$180 (vary by location).

http://cgi.ebay.com/Olympus-Stylus-T...item45fb61ebfb

A solid offering thats also super rugged and waterproof. I think its a lot of fun to use.
  • 07-21-2011, 10:06 PM
    pedja
    thanks.
    what do you say about Canon A3300 or Elph 100 HS? or Nikon s6100?
    Im not gonna dive with sharks or climb at Grand canyon :)
  • 07-21-2011, 10:58 PM
    Anbesol
    They are run of the mill, just like everything under $200. You are not going to find anything all that special in the under $200 category. The best camera: is the one you will use.

The cameras listed are pretty similar in function to the Olympus I mentioned. Typical, what to expect in a point and shoot under $200:

~14 megapixels
    ~ISO 100-3200
    ~26-130mm equivalent focal range
    ~Li-Ion battery - 220 shots cipa
    ~720P+ Video recording

If you are concerned about image quality, spend more money. Or, look at the broader and used markets. Looks like you made your camera short list at wal-mart.
  • 07-22-2011, 05:50 AM
    problem_sd_card
    I'm a beginner in the world of photography, can you suggest a best camera for beginners
  • 07-22-2011, 06:22 AM
    pedja
    no I was checking it online.
    ok I just thought that some camera in this category (<200) will be slightly better than other products...
  • 07-22-2011, 11:34 AM
    Anbesol
    Quote:

Originally Posted by problem_sd_card View Post
    I'm a beginner in the world of photography, can you suggest a best camera for beginners

link

There are about 17 trillion cameras out there. You haven't even mentioned a budget, much less what you are using it for. The best camera: is the one you will use. Just get one, best buy, walmart, target, they all have a decent selection of noob friendly cheap cameras. Pick one that looks stylish to you, IT WILL WORK! lol.

*edit - I'll repeat what I said to the other guy. In my personal opinion, if I were to get a point and shoot at this point, it would be a TOUGH series camera, no question about that.

Pedja - "Better" is a funny word. If you were to ever drop any camera, I can tell you the Tough would be "better" in that case.
  • 07-24-2011, 09:33 AM
    freygr
    Quote:

Originally Posted by pedja View Post
    thanks.
    what do you say about Canon A3300 or Elph 100 HS? or Nikon s6100?
    Im not gonna dive with sharks or climb at Grand canyon :)

I have ti agree with the camera Anbesol recommended:
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Anbesol
    What I would personally get if I had $170 to throw to one camera: I'd find a recently discontinued Olympus Tough series camera, like the 6020 which can be found on EBay for ~160-170. Some best buys still have a supply and if they do, they are clearing them out @ ~$180 (vary by location).

http://cgi.ebay.com/Olympus-Stylus-T...item45fb61ebfb

A solid offering thats also super rugged and waterproof. I think its a lot of fun to use.

The three other camera you listed are also good cameras but not as nice as the Olympus. Depending on you port of entry the cost of the same model of camera can greatly vary due to the sales tax any were from none (Oregon) to 17% in some places in Arizona! Check out this link for the full facts:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sales_t..._United_States
    Basically you will find list prices on the east coast and discounted prices on the west cost. You may be able to find better prices at the large chain stores like Fry's Electronics or Best Buy, but before you purchase check the Friday and Sunday adds for specials on cameras.
  • 07-25-2011, 08:42 PM
    pedja
    thanks for info
  • 08-08-2011, 11:20 PM
    garfy2008
    Quote:

Originally Posted by problem_sd_card View Post

Just go to Walmart, Sam's, Costco, wherever they have a decent display of point-and-shoot cameras (they start at a bit over $100 up to whatever you might want to spend) and find one that seems pretty easy for you to use. Canon, Nikon, etc. are all good cameras and most have some kind of menu system for settings. Some are better in that commonly used functions (flash mode, macro, scenes, etc.) are merely a knob or pushbutton away so just go looking and find one to use. After you've started taking photos, you'll begin to find what your needs are and will probably be able then to start a list of what you'd like, what you don't like, etc. and be able to eventually get a camera more to your liking. You could eventually even decide that a DSLR is your cup of tea. (It's sort of like how most people start off with inkjet printers because they're cheap initially, but eventually find that laser printers are much more cost effective in the long run.)
  • 08-16-2011, 01:37 AM
    redinbage
    I would definitely go for the Canon ... The photo quality is much better than
    other brands even for a low megapixel camera..
  • 08-17-2011, 10:39 PM
    andrepitt77
    There are a wild verity of cameras are available in market. Main the suggestion for this first decided for what work are you purchase camera. For general purpose you get a lot of verity and they gives a great picture quality. You can also see on internet.