Digital Cameras Forum

Digital Cameras Forum Discuss compact digital cameras or ask general digital photography questions - what camera to buy, memory cards, digital camera accessories, etc. You may also want to look at the Digital SLR forum, or the Camera Manufacturer forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital Camera Reviews >>
Digital Camera Buyers Guide >>
    Ian

Quadrialigic looking for a new camera that will satisfy, please advise.

Hi everyone!

I love photography. I have had the fuji finepix 3800 for the last few years. Being a quadrapelic I am able to use it with my right hand. I can use my left hand to help hold it sometimes but rarely. The 3800 is a good size but I can handle it in my right hand, aiming and shooting.

Here are some of the pictures I've taken with it http://mycamera.fantaysia.com/photos.htm to give you an idea. I am looking for a better camera that will make my photos better, more megapixles.

Even sometimes if my hand shakes a little the 3800 still takes ok pictures. I have read about cameras with Image Stabalizer but never used one. I wonder if IS would make my pictures much better?

I am thinking of the fuji fiinepix s9000, it doesn't have IS but it's the price range I'm looking at and am hoping that if the 3800 takes good pictures for me that the s9000 will do even better. I am looking at it for it's zoom capability and it's 9 megapixels. I'm hoping that all the other features will be great.

Is it much bulkier than the 3800? I think I can handle it with practaice but welcome advice.

I am also open to other camera suggestions in that price range. A must is 10x optical zoom, high megapixels, great color in pictures. I think IS would be good in my situation but I have done ok without it so far and don't know much about it.

I have read great reviews on the s9000 and not so great reviws. I truly love photography and want a camera that will last and satisfy me for years.

Please help me or reccomend a great camera for me.

Thank you!
    Ian

Re: Quadrialigic looking for a new camera that will satisfy, please advise.

Ian-
    Welcome. Glad to have you. I hope you'll post some photos on the gallery and stick around. You have a unique perspective to offer.

From your Web page and your post you seem to be most interested in more resolution. Be careful about thinking more resolution means better photos. Of course, you can use a little more than you have now. But I do think image stabilization will make a bigger difference than more resolution. I would recommend looking at the Canon Powershot S3 IS and the Konica Minolta A200, as well as the Fuji that you're already interested in. Out of those three cameras, I'd go for the Konica Minolta, if you can find one. I did a test with one last spring and it far surpassed my expectations. The image quality is excellent, it has a huge zoom lens, full manual controls, and an image stabilized sensor. It's the best compact digital camera I've ever used.

Here's are some review page links:

Canon S3 IS (no reviews yet): http://www.photographyreview.com/cat...1_5648crx.aspx
    Konica Minolta A200: http://www.photographyreview.com/cat...0_5648crx.aspx

Hope that helps. Let us know if you have more questions.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Pentax Forum Moderator

Welcome Ian...Johns recommendation is well respected!! I really have nothing to offer you that he hasn't already said. I really liked your site and look forward to seeing many more from you. Thanx for posting the link to your site.
    Ken
    Ken

Click these links for the K5 Review Page and the K7 Review Page
    Remember, Reviews help keep our site free!!!

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

The K-Teams Updated Logo CLICK HERE to add a link. Many thanx go to Axle for his hard work.

Nikon Samurai #20

Ian

Hi guys,

thank you for your responses. The minolta looks really good, just less zoom than the fuji. I do have more photos, many more. Right now I am really tired and going to bed. Really interested in IS you think it will make a great difference?

Ian

honestly ive played quite a bit with both of those cameras - and whilst i havent done the thurough tests and analysis that it seems photo john has - i was VERY impressed by both of them.

easily both of them were the 2 best non-slr cameras i have ever seen. the s3 has nothing on them (except an excellent IS, other then that the other two smash the s3 and eat it for breakfast)...

hope that helps!

Ian

Why are those two better than the S9000?

Quote Originally Posted by abacoian
    Why are those two better than the S9000?
    im sorry i didnt say that right - by those two i was reffering to the s9000 and the a200. Before i bought my SLR those were two mighty contenders! The s9000 is awesome!

furthermore - whilst they do not have image stabilization in the s9000, and even minoltas anti-shake doesnt compare to canons IS - they both have SIGNIFICANTLY better noise performance then the s3! So, bump up the iso to 200 or 400 on the fuji and minolta when you would use 100 or 200 on the s3 - and there you have it, an even better form of stabilizing your image. fujis s9000 has the best noise performance in its class - and capable of shooting acceptable shots at even iso 1600!

almost forgot! While looking at those - there is still something good to be said about sony's DSC-R1, a bit pricier, but also a great performer.
    Last edited by Anbesol; 04-15-2006 at 09:04 AM.

Thread Information