Prosumer vs. Professional

Printable View

• 06-14-2004, 02:55 PM
    nyrmlieber
    Prosumer vs. Professional
    I am at a fork in my road. An 8 megapixel prosumer(Nikon Coolpix8700,Olympus C-8080), or a DSLR(Canon EOS 300D). I want good picture quality and fast reaction time. But I also think having a movie mode and other bells and whistles. I am an ametuer looking to get more serious. some opinions would be very helpful

Peter Lieber
  • 06-14-2004, 03:32 PM
    Liz
    Point & Shoot vs DSLR
    Actually I'm not the one to give you a lot of specifics regarding differences in P&S vs SLR. However, I will tell you what I think from my personal experience.

My first digital camera was a P&S, the Canon G2 which had some of the best features you could find in a P&S digital camera. I wasn't happy with it because of the zoom - so upgraded to a G3. I liked the G3, but having been used to a (35mm) SLR, I was never totally "happy" with the G3, as good as it is.

Finally I purchased the Rebel 300D and life hasn't been the same - I still get the same thrill I did the first time I used this camera. There is a learning curve, and it's a little more difficult to learn than taking a p&s out of the box. There is really no comparison between the P&S no matter how good and a DSLR. No P&S gives you "fast reaction time."

Also - "Bells & whistles, movie mode" isn't what you should look at if you are interested in growing with still photography. If you want movies, get a camcorder. Seriously! You won't get great video with digital P&S cameras - that's not the focus of the manufacturers.

If you really want to "grow" in your photography skills, I don't think you will be happy with a p&s for very long. If you just want to have fun, then get the P&S.

Other people will most likely give you more specific info. Good luck :)

Liz
  • 06-15-2004, 09:22 AM
    KrisG
    get the DSLR
    Quote:

Originally Posted by nyrmlieber
    I am at a fork in my road. An 8 megapixel prosumer(Nikon Coolpix8700,Olympus C-8080), or a DSLR(Canon EOS 300D). I want good picture quality and fast reaction time. But I also think having a movie mode and other bells and whistles. I am an ametuer looking to get more serious. some opinions would be very helpful

Peter Lieber

Get the DSLR- it will grow with you as you progress in your skills. The movie mode is something you probably won't use much. I have it on one of my P&S digital cameras and I have only used it a few times just to say I had used that feature. With a DSLR, you would be able to manipulate your images much more. Also, you can start out with P&S simplicity as Canon offers easy program settings for different situations.
  • 06-21-2004, 03:15 PM
    nyrmlieber
    Thanks
    Thanks guys for the input. It's helped a ton
  • 06-21-2004, 03:19 PM
    Photo-John
    One More For The SLR
    Digital SLR image quality and speed crush any compact digital camera's ability. If you're serious about photography, do yourself a favor and buy a digital SLR. If you want video, buy a compact camera, too. But don't try to get everything in one camera. It will just frustrate and disappoint you.
  • 06-23-2004, 08:16 AM
    another view
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Liz
    If you want movies, get a camcorder.

Wow, Liz - you tell him!

My advice would be the same. Bells & whistles won't help you if you can't get the shot (reaction time). Any DSLR will beat any compact digital in this, and it's essential. A 6mp DSLR will give you better quality images than an 8mp compact, too. This has to do with the larger sensor size of the DSLR, and will really show up at higher ISO speeds. I never use my compact faster than ISO200, and that only when I have to. In some situations I use my DSLR at 800 (with better results than the compact at 200...).

I also have a movie mode on my compact but used it once when I got it only to see how it worked. Actually forgot about it until now!