Digital Cameras Forum

Digital Cameras Forum Discuss compact digital cameras or ask general digital photography questions - what camera to buy, memory cards, digital camera accessories, etc. You may also want to look at the Digital SLR forum, or the Camera Manufacturer forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital Camera Reviews >>
Digital Camera Buyers Guide >>

Angry Sony Mavica Cameras Disk Ejecting Problems

I am looking for anyone who has had a problem ejecting the disk from a Sony Mavica camera and in lieu of any specific instruction in the Owner's Manual, forcibly removed the disk and subsequently damaged their camera and had to foot the bill for the repair. Please reply to this message or email me at: greekos68@mailaka.net. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by greekos68
    I am looking for anyone who has had a problem ejecting the disk from a Sony Mavica camera and in lieu of any specific instruction in the Owner's Manual, forcibly removed the disk and subsequently damaged their camera and had to foot the bill for the repair. Please reply to this message or email me at: greekos68@mailaka.net. Thank you.
    You have to be careful with the metal slide on the floppy disks. If it is raised just a little, it will get caught when the disk is being ejected. The minute you find that a floppy is giving trouble to come out, throw it away, once you get it out. I have an FD 91 and now and then this happens - haven't had to have the camera repaired though. (knock wood).

How did you get the disk out?

Quote Originally Posted by O'Chutsman
    You have to be careful with the metal slide on the floppy disks. If it is raised just a little, it will get caught when the disk is being ejected. The minute you find that a floppy is giving trouble to come out, throw it away, once you get it out. I have an FD 91 and now and then this happens - haven't had to have the camera repaired though. (knock wood).

Thanks, O'Chutsman. So, how did you get the disks out? There are no instructions in the owner's manual. On the internet there is a warning not to forcibly remove the disk. The procedure is to turn off the camera, remove the battery and wait 15 seconds, reinsert the battery and with camera turned off, try ejecting it. That might work if there is a malfunction with the camera, but on a stuck disk, it would probably still not come out. I am upset because Sony did not warn issue a warning in the owner's manual. Now my camera is broken, and it will cost me $180.

Quote Originally Posted by greekos68
    Thanks, O'Chutsman. So, how did you get the disks out? There are no instructions in the owner's manual. On the internet there is a warning not to forcibly remove the disk. The procedure is to turn off the camera, remove the battery and wait 15 seconds, reinsert the battery and with camera turned off, try ejecting it. That might work if there is a malfunction with the camera, but on a stuck disk, it would probably still not come out. I am upset because Sony did not warn issue a warning in the owner's manual. Now my camera is broken, and it will cost me $180.
    Just lucky I guess. I just tried several times and eventually it came out - I never removed the battery, though. And remember once I got the faintest hint of the disk giving trouble, I threw it away. Perhaps you could try inserting a flat piece of plastic, like a very thin credit card, to see if you can prevent the metal slide from catching - if that is what is causing the problem.

If you have to pay $180 to fix it, I would go for a more modern camera with the memory stick types that will hold so much more than a floppy could ever hope to hold. In a way I wish my camera would go bad so I have an excuse to get a more modern one, especially as mine is less than 1Mpx, but it takes great pictures and has a 14X optical zoom!

It can become a pain to have to change floppys every 20 or so shots. Even the standard 16mb memory cards that come with the newer cameras will hold 160 pictures at 640 x 480.

Thread Information