Digital Cameras Forum

Digital Cameras Forum Discuss compact digital cameras or ask general digital photography questions - what camera to buy, memory cards, digital camera accessories, etc. You may also want to look at the Digital SLR forum, or the Camera Manufacturer forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital Camera Reviews >>
Digital Camera Buyers Guide >>

My problem: Prosumer vs DSLR

Ok, so here is the deal. I currently own a Canon Powershot S230 3.2 megapixel digital camera. As you can see from my thread in the photo critque section, it takes some pretty good pictures. I originally bought it just wanting a p&s camera and it was great for that! I was fantastic for the 5 months I was in Europe, but I have decided I want more.

The thing I am worring about now is buying something that I'll want to upgrade again because it doesnt do everything I want. The main things I like to do with it are take landscape shots and shots of buildings and places. Some people shots, but thats not my main focus. My main disappointment and area of improvement im looking for is in the area of taking pictures of places at night. Its impossible to do with my camera. With the flash on it doesnt pick up anything more than 5 feet away, with the flash off it doesnt take in enough light to make out all most anything. I live in Washington, DC and I would love to (and have failed at) taking good pictures of the monuments at night.

This brings me to my question. It seems that apeture size and shutter spead are the two areas that would allow me to take better night pictures. Should I go with something like the Canon G5 or shell out a bit more for a Digital Rebel?

The G5 has the option of adjusting shutter speed and such and has a mode for night portraits (which would seem like they should have people in the foreground) and from all accounts I've read the G5 is a great camera. But then there is the Digital Rebel, it seems to me that it has alot more versatility but I'm not going to spend alot on other lenses any time in the near future.

Im just worried with the G5 I will be left wanting something more in the near future. Anyway, what do you think would be best for taking landscape pictures and especially ones at night. Will the G5 fit my needs and would the 300D be overbuying? Or should I just spend more to begin with and get the DSLR?

Thanks for any advice and comments you guys have, I appreciate it!

Like me, you are going along similar tracks I have been. Purchased a Kodak digital camera, wasn't overly happy with the pics and also shutter lag. Looked at what was available and decided on getting the G3 considered a decent camera, has all the controls like most normal slr cameras, but again the shutter lag of the camera was disappointing me. I moved up to a Canon 10D as I had an EOS30 and some lenses, and am now personally quite satisified with the choice of getting the 10D. Still have the other cameras but mostly use the 10D, with occassional G3 use. Wife uses the G3 instead of film camera she had, and my kids will learn how to use the G3 as well, and maybe even the 10D they are only 8 and 11 at present.

If you really want something that is like a real film camera then forget the G5 and go straight for either the 300D or 10D which I think is a better choice of camera.

Just my personal views.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwimmerlaik
    It seems that apeture size and shutter spead are the two areas that would allow me to take better night pictures. Should I go with something like the Canon G5 or shell out a bit more for a Digital Rebel?
    Go for the Rebel or another DSLR over something like a G5 - but not for that reason. Aperture, shutter speed and film ISO speed (or digital equivalent) make up exposure. You have those on any camera, but they may be either fixed or have no manual control on a p&s type camera. The reason you should go with a DSLR is that the sensor is much bigger. Resolution isn't that big of a deal, Nikon's newest pro DSLR is 4mp but makes great 20x30 prints. Bigger sensors can handle low light much better than smaller sensors (I'll bet the sensor in the camera you have is about 1/4 x 3/8 or so - compared to one that's half the size of a frame of 35mm film.

Some things to be aware of though. Dust is a problem. Everytime you change lenses, you have the potential of getting dust on the sensor. You have to change lenses quickly and carefully. Lenses don't have the same angle of view on a 35mm camera as they would on most DSLR's - it's an equivalent of 1.5 times the focal length. A 50mm lens is now 75mm, but this will hurt with wide angle lenses.

I have a DSLR and a compact digital, and both have their uses. There are a lot of things that a compact digital camera just can't do. For shooting monuments, get a tripod and don't use flash.

Thread Information