Digital Cameras Forum

Digital Cameras Forum Discuss compact digital cameras or ask general digital photography questions - what camera to buy, memory cards, digital camera accessories, etc. You may also want to look at the Digital SLR forum, or the Camera Manufacturer forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital Camera Reviews >>
Digital Camera Buyers Guide >>

Picking the right CF card

So I just acquired the new Nikon D-70. (Smile)

I still have the my old 256mb CF card but I plan to buy something new and been looking around.

I thought about a microdrive but one of my friends told me it goes through battery power really fast.

So then I'm thinking either a 512mb or 1gb CF card. But there are alot out there with different speeds (what exactly does 4x or 40x mean?) from different makers.

What is nice to have and what is necessary (is 4x too slow or not so bad at all)? and what companies do people suggest? whats the price range I can expect about?

thanks for the help all!

Sitting in a Leaky Dingy Michael Fanelli's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sushisuzuki
    So I just acquired the new Nikon D-70. (Smile)

I still have the my old 256mb CF card but I plan to buy something new and been looking around.

I thought about a microdrive but one of my friends told me it goes through battery power really fast.

So then I'm thinking either a 512mb or 1gb CF card. But there are alot out there with different speeds (what exactly does 4x or 40x mean?) from different makers.

What is nice to have and what is necessary (is 4x too slow or not so bad at all)? and what companies do people suggest? whats the price range I can expect about?
    Look at

http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/mul...e.asp?cid=6007

for test measurements of CF card speed by camera model. The D70 is included.
    "Every great decision creates ripples--like a huge boulder dropped in a lake. The ripples merge and rebound off the banks in unforseeable ways.

Thread Information