Digital Cameras Forum

Digital Cameras Forum Discuss compact digital cameras or ask general digital photography questions - what camera to buy, memory cards, digital camera accessories, etc. You may also want to look at the Digital SLR forum, or the Camera Manufacturer forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital Camera Reviews >>
Digital Camera Buyers Guide >>

panasonic Lumix dmc-fx01

This may sound a little silly to everyone but what i would like to know is would it be possible to burn my little video clips onto a disc, i have tried this but they play back quite jerky, is there an explanation for this? My older camera played back on disc quite smoothly but this camera which is a 6 megga pixel and the video plays back at 30 frames per second plays back with little jerks, are these camera video`s not meant to be burned onto a disc?Could someone please help me with this problem.

Panarus biarmicus Moderator (Sports) SmartWombat's Avatar

Re: panasonic Lumix dmc-fx01

So since your new camera has 6MP and 30fps, you have to shift more information off the disk per second than your old camera's files.
    Reading from CD is quite a bit slower than reading form your main hard disk.
    Sounds to me more like your computer isn't up to it.
    Possibly just the speed of the CD drive is too slow.
    Can you try your disc on another computer somewhere and see if it works?

I'd ask a computer salesman "my computer at home won't play this, and I think I need a faster computer" most would jump at the chance to prove that a newer computer would work
    Not that you're going to buy one of course, but just see what kind of computer you need to do it justice. They'll start at the expensive end I'm sure, you just have to work them down the price rance until it starts getting jerky.

Yes, I do hate computer salesmen
    PAul

Scroll down to the Sports Forum and post your sports pictures !

Quote Originally Posted by juneanne
    This may sound a little silly to everyone but what i would like to know is would it be possible to burn my little video clips onto a disc, i have tried this but they play back quite jerky, is there an explanation for this? My older camera played back on disc quite smoothly but this camera which is a 6 megga pixel and the video plays back at 30 frames per second plays back with little jerks, are these camera video`s not meant to be burned onto a disc?Could someone please help me with this problem.
    Sure video can be burned to disc, but it is usually rendered first through a piece of software such as Premiere Elements or some Movie Enhancer program on the camera manufacturers disk that came with your camera.

Ronnoco

Many thanks PAul & Ronnoco, i did burn them with the software that came with the camera but i have noticed they are not quite as bad watched on the TV, i was wondering if i should burn them slower, i have noticed a few settings for the speed in which to burn but i am not sure which to choose from, what difference would it make altering the burning speed? Ronnoco, you could be right about the computer because they are better shown on th TV. June.

Panarus biarmicus Moderator (Sports) SmartWombat's Avatar

what difference would it make altering the burning speed?
    The burning speed has nothing to do with the speed the video plays.
    Years ago, it took forever to burn a CD, and you had to have special hard drives and use the computer for nothign else, even unplug it from the network, and that was at 1x speed.

Today, CD drives are measured in their read and write speed.
    Burning a CD is more reliable (less chance of error) at 8x than 32x - but it doesn't affect how you store the movie, or how jerky it is when played.
    PAul

Scroll down to the Sports Forum and post your sports pictures !

j1d

Hi, to the owner of the DMC-FX01 or anyone else with hands on experience with the camera...
    whats your overall opinion of the camera? and... how about its image stabilization ability and low light capabilities? i've heard some bad things about the camera with higher ISO and was wondering if it was worth purchasing

any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Quote Originally Posted by SmartWombat

Yes, I do hate computer salesmen
    Just don't hate me... I just applied for a job at Office Depot (US office supplies and electronics store), and it looks like I will get the job. I will keep you in mind everytime I sell a computer.

Z
    Hell, there are no rules here-- we're trying to accomplish something.
    Thomas A. Edison

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
    Thomas A. Edison

j1d

Quote Originally Posted by j1d
    Hi, to the owner of the DMC-FX01 or anyone else with hands on experience with the camera...
    whats your overall opinion of the camera? and... how about its image stabilization ability and low light capabilities? i've heard some bad things about the camera with higher ISO and was wondering if it was worth purchasing

any help would be greatly appreciated!!

still wondering the answer to above question?? thanks.

j1d

Quote Originally Posted by j1d
    still wondering the answer to above question?? thanks.
    anyone help?

I'll bite. Ok - I just purchased a Sony DSC-H2 and it also is a 6 mp 30 fps camera. I took a small movie last week and played it back on my pc and also on my tv. The pc I used was a P4 with 512 of RAM and a 64 mb video card. The picture did appear a lil jerk in some places but form the most part it was very watchable. I burned the video to disk as straight mpeg and also did a svcd disk also to see if there was any problem and the jerkiness was not noticeable and the colors were nice and sharp. I think it is a problem in the pc and not the camera. Ooop s wait a sec - this was the second movie I took with the hi speed memory - the first movie with the regular memory was more jerkier but I will be taking more movies to see if my theory holds water or not.

Ivan

Thread Information