Digital Cameras Forum

Digital Cameras Forum Discuss compact digital cameras or ask general digital photography questions - what camera to buy, memory cards, digital camera accessories, etc. You may also want to look at the Digital SLR forum, or the Camera Manufacturer forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital Camera Reviews >>
Digital Camera Buyers Guide >>

Odd Shadow in pictures

Hi All,

I just purchased a new Tokina 11-16 Lens for my Nikon D90.

For most of my photos inside there seems to a shadow in the foreground although I cannot see where is is coming from.

My first samples outside are ok.

I cannot post an example at the moment, but wondered if there was an obvious reason.

Re: Odd Shadow in pictures

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Snapper View Post
    Hi All,

I just purchased a new Tokina 11-16 Lens for my Nikon D90.

For most of my photos inside there seems to a shadow in the foreground although I cannot see where is is coming from.

My first samples outside are ok.

I cannot post an example at the moment, but wondered if there was an obvious reason.
    The problem is that you are using the "ON CAMERA" flash and due to the lens being so big in diameter and the flash being so low the light from the flash is hitting the top of the lens and putting a shadow at the bottom of each picture. Either do not use the on camera flash or use and external flash that will be much higher and change the angle of the light so the light will not hit the top of the lens causing the shadow to appear.

When you look at your picture the shadow should be a round or curved shape that would match the top of your lens and be in the bottom center of the picture. Depending on what mm you are shooting at, 11 or 16mm, the size of the shadow could be bigger or smaller depending on how far out the lens extends, Jeff

NOTE: If you have a sun shade on your lens, take it off when using a flash and that will eliminate a lot of the shadow because it gives the light even more to hit making the shadow even larger.
    Check out my website Here
    My Nikon D7000 Tips thread is HERE

All images posted by me anywhere are Copyrighted by Federal Law and may not be copied or used in ANY FORM without my personal written permission. Jeff Impey
    "I decided years ago I was only going to have two types of days... Very Good Days or just Plain Good Days I just refuse to have Bad Ones!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Hi Grandpaw,

Thanks for the explanation, this clear it up

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Snapper View Post
    Hi Grandpaw,

Thanks for the explanation, this clear it up
    Glad we were able to help you out, Jeff
    Check out my website Here
    My Nikon D7000 Tips thread is HERE

All images posted by me anywhere are Copyrighted by Federal Law and may not be copied or used in ANY FORM without my personal written permission. Jeff Impey
    "I decided years ago I was only going to have two types of days... Very Good Days or just Plain Good Days I just refuse to have Bad Ones!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Thread Information