Odd Shadow in pictures

Printable View

• 08-25-2011, 05:18 AM
    Happy Snapper
    Odd Shadow in pictures
    Hi All,

I just purchased a new Tokina 11-16 Lens for my Nikon D90.

For most of my photos inside there seems to a shadow in the foreground although I cannot see where is is coming from.

My first samples outside are ok.

I cannot post an example at the moment, but wondered if there was an obvious reason.
  • 08-25-2011, 05:37 AM
    Grandpaw
    Re: Odd Shadow in pictures
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Happy Snapper View Post
    Hi All,

I just purchased a new Tokina 11-16 Lens for my Nikon D90.

For most of my photos inside there seems to a shadow in the foreground although I cannot see where is is coming from.

My first samples outside are ok.

I cannot post an example at the moment, but wondered if there was an obvious reason.

The problem is that you are using the "ON CAMERA" flash and due to the lens being so big in diameter and the flash being so low the light from the flash is hitting the top of the lens and putting a shadow at the bottom of each picture. Either do not use the on camera flash or use and external flash that will be much higher and change the angle of the light so the light will not hit the top of the lens causing the shadow to appear.

When you look at your picture the shadow should be a round or curved shape that would match the top of your lens and be in the bottom center of the picture. Depending on what mm you are shooting at, 11 or 16mm, the size of the shadow could be bigger or smaller depending on how far out the lens extends, Jeff

NOTE: If you have a sun shade on your lens, take it off when using a flash and that will eliminate a lot of the shadow because it gives the light even more to hit making the shadow even larger.
  • 08-26-2011, 04:46 AM
    Happy Snapper
    Hi Grandpaw,

Thanks for the explanation, this clear it up :)
  • 08-26-2011, 04:48 AM
    Grandpaw
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Happy Snapper View Post
    Hi Grandpaw,

Thanks for the explanation, this clear it up :)

Glad we were able to help you out, Jeff