Digital Cameras Forum

Digital Cameras Forum Discuss compact digital cameras or ask general digital photography questions - what camera to buy, memory cards, digital camera accessories, etc. You may also want to look at the Digital SLR forum, or the Camera Manufacturer forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital Camera Reviews >>
Digital Camera Buyers Guide >>

best camera for football from stands

i play football and would like some pictures for facebook and just to have- my mom will be taking these from the stands so it needs pretty good zoom- i would like it to be under 200 but up too 250 will be ok

thanks!!!

Re: best camera for football from stands

For what you are wanting to spend about any camera will do in that price range. About the only decent photos she will get however are going to have to be posed. There is no point and shoot camera that I am aware of that is going to have the shutter response time & high ISO capabilities to get decent pictures that freeze the action. Especially under the lights.

If you are playing a day game then she might be able to get some action shots, but again, due to the nature of point and shoot camera's it will be pretty tough.

Sports photography demands a lot out of not only the photographer but the gear as well to freeze action with a shallow DOF, at a useable ISO to make that action pop out of the photo.

You might want to check and see if there are any parents, or photographers that will be attending some of the games shooting from the side lines. They may be able to get some shots for you. Good luck.

I'll put a ditto mark to gryphons comments. That said, there are plenty of shots to be had that aren't action.
    - Charlie

Feel free to edit and repost my work as a part of your critique.

ok she might get on the sidelines and take some pics

i have a sony cyber shot will that be ok?

Under stadium lights at night, you will get nothing as far as action goes, sideline or bleachers. In bright sunny days, she may be able to pull off a few action shots, mediocre at best.

"Cybershot" is the name of the entire line of Sony point and shoots. So, saying that she has a "cybershot" doesn't really tell us anything about the camera, only, that its Sony.

Or, better yet, hire a pro! I know in this day and age Camera MFR's are trying to make consumers believe their dinky little $250 toy can do anything, but there are lots of limitations of gear and even limitations based on the users own experience and knowledge. If you want good action shots of you and your football team, use that $250 to hire a pro instead, then you will get outstanding shots, instead of a ton of really shitty shots sprinkled in with a few mediocre ones.
    - Charlie

Feel free to edit and repost my work as a part of your critique.

ok that makes sense- thanks for your help

right thanks a lot

Thread Information