Digital Cameras Forum

Digital Cameras Forum Discuss compact digital cameras or ask general digital photography questions - what camera to buy, memory cards, digital camera accessories, etc. You may also want to look at the Digital SLR forum, or the Camera Manufacturer forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital Camera Reviews >>
Digital Camera Buyers Guide >>

Nikon Coolpix 950

I have a Nikon coolpix 950 camera. Problem is that the Camera's flash is not powerful enough to light up distant objects. I have a Vivitar 283 and was wondering if it can be used with the Nikon external flash bracket. Do I really have to buy an expensive Nikon Flash? Has anyone ever used another brand Flash with a Coolpix without damaging the camera?
    Canute
    Houston, Texas

Bottom line - I dunno. But I found this review if it helps: http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikoncp950/

I've never used the 950 and it looks like (as you say too) you have to use the special flash bracket for an external flash. A 283 might be OK but the problem would be if there was a voltage difference between that flash and what the camera is designed for. You'd probably be safe using a 283 on a Nikon SLR but I'm not sure on a Coolpix - or even if there is a voltage difference. The 283 spec sheet on their website doesn't say, you may want to check the owner's manual if you have one. To be safe, you could probably pick up one of Nikon's flashes used pretty inexpensively. You wouldn't need anything current because it would be mostly manual (or regular A-mode) anyway - an SB24 should be great.

OK, read a little more about the 283 - I wouldn't use it with the Coolpix due to higher trigger voltage. Look for a Nikon flash to be safe.

Thanks very much for the info.

Thanks very much for the info. This is very reward ing for me to have fellow viewers share their experience and help prevent an expensive disaster.

Canute

Quote Originally Posted by another view
    Bottom line - I dunno. But I found this review if it helps: http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikoncp950/

I've never used the 950 and it looks like (as you say too) you have to use the special flash bracket for an external flash. A 283 might be OK but the problem would be if there was a voltage difference between that flash and what the camera is designed for. You'd probably be safe using a 283 on a Nikon SLR but I'm not sure on a Coolpix - or even if there is a voltage difference. The 283 spec sheet on their website doesn't say, you may want to check the owner's manual if you have one. To be safe, you could probably pick up one of Nikon's flashes used pretty inexpensively. You wouldn't need anything current because it would be mostly manual (or regular A-mode) anyway - an SB24 should be great.

As acknowledged with the other reply. Thanks very much for the info. This is very reward ing for me to have fellow viewers share their experience and help prevent an expensive disaster.

Canute

Quote Originally Posted by another view
    OK, read a little more about the 283 - I wouldn't use it with the Coolpix due to higher trigger voltage. Look for a Nikon flash to be safe.

Thread Information