Digital Cameras Forum

Digital Cameras Forum Discuss compact digital cameras or ask general digital photography questions - what camera to buy, memory cards, digital camera accessories, etc. You may also want to look at the Digital SLR forum, or the Camera Manufacturer forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital Camera Reviews >>
Digital Camera Buyers Guide >>

Ni-MH battery lifetime - is it really this short?

Hello,

I had a quick question concerning Ni-MH rechargable batteries. I have eight that I've been using with my Canon A60 since this past December. The two sets of four have been rotated each time new batteries were needed, and have not been mixed. The set not in the camera is immediately charged and put back in my camera case.

I'm concerned the batteries are dying already. I noticed it a few weeks ago, when it seemed they weren't lasting as long as usual. Then last week both sets went dead, so I charged them up and stuck one set in the camera. This weekend I tried to take some shots, and the freshly charged set was dead.

So I'm wondering if they really only last ~7 months? I know I saved money over Alkalines, but now what do I do with them, besides recycling them? I'm not sure how many times they were recharged in those 7 months, but I should think no more than an average user. I don't use the flash much, either.

Any tips on how to prolong battery life, if it is indeed this short, would be helpful. Thanks for any help!

Brian

Canon Batteries?

Are they Canon batteries? I can't remember if that camera uses proprietary batteries. In any case, I've noticed that the life on the Canon batteries I use for my G2 and 10D has started to fade. And I've also heard that some 3rd-party battery brands seem to be more reliable. I can't confirm this because I've only used the Canon batteries. But I've heard it enough that I'm starting to wonder.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Quote Originally Posted by Photo-John
    Are they Canon batteries? I can't remember if that camera uses proprietary batteries. In any case, I've noticed that the life on the Canon batteries I use for my G2 and 10D has started to fade. And I've also heard that some 3rd-party battery brands seem to be more reliable. I can't confirm this because I've only used the Canon batteries. But I've heard it enough that I'm starting to wonder.
    No, they're Energizer AA's. Whoops, forgot to mention that in my original post.

BTW, great pics in Passion over at MTBR, as always!

I don't have any Energizer NiMH batteries, but I do still have and use one set of Ray-o-Vac NiMH batteries I bought several years ago with an Olympus camera, and they're still working well. I'd still have the other set, but they were ruined when they got wet. They should definitely last longer than 7 months.

nature/wildlife co-moderator paulnj's Avatar
    JOHN .and a link....

John, my 3 BATTERIES for the 1D are hillariously short lived compared to 15 months ago! I used to only need a second on long day trips, but now I need all 3 some days!!

Do you know where and if I can get 3RD PARTY batteries or a RECORE?

As for RECHARGABLE AA.... http://www.thomas-distributing.com/m...2300mAh-aa.htm

somebody here replied with this very set in a flash recycle question..... who ever that was IS MY HERO!!!!

THESE BATTERIES OUTLAST 3 sets of varta AA batteries(which are 2x as good as durajunk and (no) energy.. izers ;)

you will never look back once you buy these...HONESTLY!

RECYCLE THEM atleast..... ONCE IN A WHILE !!!!!
    CAMERA BIRD NERD #1

BIRD NERD O'CANON

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both" - Benjamin Franklin

Smile Re: Ni-MH battery lifetime - is it really this short?

Thanks for the tip on that battery site. I have been having problems with how insanely short the life on some of these babies are. I found my camera on http://www.hdvideocamerareview.com which was good info and a great price. But I didn't realize how battery situation would come into play. Glad to finally find a solution!

JC

Panarus biarmicus Moderator (Sports) SmartWombat's Avatar

Re: Ni-MH battery lifetime - is it really this short?

paulnj, that link to the batteries didn't work.

I can recommend those chargers.
    I have both the Maha MH-C801D 8-way charger and the 4-way MH-C900.
    I use the 8-way to recharge my batteries, and the 4-way advanced charger to analyse the sets and throw out the worn ones.
    I'm about to order up a second C801D for heavy flash usage days, so I don't need to get up in the night to swap batteries in the charger.

My AA battery of choice is the Uniross Hybrio 2100mAh
    Stays charged for months in my bag, and performs well in the 580EX flash.
    PAul

Scroll down to the Sports Forum and post your sports pictures !

that post was 6 yrs ago ;-)
    CAMERA BIRD NERD #1

BIRD NERD O'CANON

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both" - Benjamin Franklin

Ni MH battery lifetime is it really this short

So.

Having bought the 1D mkIV Im looking at a second battery. Canon original
    £125. After market battery £24. How dull is it to buy an after market
    battery for this camera?

John
    Here go quotes about myself.

Spam delete
    CAMERA BIRD NERD #1

BIRD NERD O'CANON

Thread Information