Digital Cameras Forum

Digital Cameras Forum Discuss compact digital cameras or ask general digital photography questions - what camera to buy, memory cards, digital camera accessories, etc. You may also want to look at the Digital SLR forum, or the Camera Manufacturer forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital Camera Reviews >>
Digital Camera Buyers Guide >>

Sony QX "Lens-Style" Cameras - What Do You Think?

I wanted to make sure you guys saw this. It's Sony's new QX100 - basically an RX100 II designed to be used with a Smart Phone. Here's my article on the new Sony QX cameras:

Sony QX10 & QX100 "Lens-Style" Cameras For Smart Phones >>

Sony QX "Lens-Style" Cameras - What Do You Think?-sony-qx100_phone.jpg

So what do you think? I've been loving my Eye-Fi card and now cameras with built-in Wi-Fi, for sharing to FB and Instagram while I'm out and about. Since the QX cameras use the phone to control the camera, they take the built-in Wi-Fi a step further. I'm hoping to get one for review soon and I'd love to know what the community thinks.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Re: Sony QX "Lens-Style" Cameras - What Do You Think?

Shock. Amazement. They just can't DO that to us. But then - brilliant, in a way.

Times have changed. My smartphone is by far my most useful possession. I no longer carry it around on me (too vulnerable to theft). I have it in a day bag which I have near me most of the time.

Also in my day bag is - my Sony RX100, just in case I need to do a "real" photo. So in a way this thing is a more compact version of what I already have.

I wonder how long it takes to set up? How robust is the connection to a (non-Sony) smartphone? I'l check it out when I can.
    Charles

Nikon D800, D7200, Sony RX100m3
    Not buying any more gear this year. I hope

Quote Originally Posted by Franglais View Post
    Also in my day bag is - my Sony RX100, just in case I need to do a "real" photo. So in a way this thing is a more compact version of what I already have.
    The only real downside, in my opinion, is that you can't shoot RAW. But they could easily add that in the next version. I expect that depends on how many they sell and how many people ask for RAW capability. Of course, the RAW files would only be saved to the camera, and not the phone. That's probably one of the reasons they left RAW out - most people will only use it with their phone and probably never even put a memory card in the camera.

Quote Originally Posted by Franglais View Post
    I wonder how long it takes to set up? How robust is the connection to a (non-Sony) smartphone? I'l check it out when I can.
    I expect the Wi-Fi connectivity to work pretty well. I bought the Sony HX50V pocket superzoom with Wi-Fi and it's really easy to connect and use with my Samsung Galaxy S3. The app is the same, although with a new update. So it should work just as well.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

No RAW? Forget it. Cameras are getting better at getting JPG's right but I still adjust pretty much all of my images to give them the look that I prefer. And I usually use the RX100 in conditions that are not optimum - at night, at parties, through windows, in bright sunlight - anything to get the image then sort it out later in the lab.

BTW I think the connection to the smartphone is Bluetooth and not WiFi. By radio, anyway. I use Bluetooth to connect keyboards and mice to some of my PC's and tablets. On some (all Microsoft) I turn it on and it remembers the connection but on others I have to go through a discovery procedure.
    Charles

Nikon D800, D7200, Sony RX100m3
    Not buying any more gear this year. I hope

Foe those with smart phones it looks like a very nice, compact solution to the pocket camera. It does not have to be attached, correct? How far apart can they be? - Terry
    -----------------
    I am no better than you. I critique to teach myself to see.
    -----------------
    Feel free to edit my photos or do anything else that will help me learn.
    -----------------
    Sony/Minolta - way more gear than talent.

nice sharing.....

Thread Information