Digital Cameras Forum

Digital Cameras Forum Discuss compact digital cameras or ask general digital photography questions - what camera to buy, memory cards, digital camera accessories, etc. You may also want to look at the Digital SLR forum, or the Camera Manufacturer forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital Camera Reviews >>
Digital Camera Buyers Guide >>

Help need a good point and shoot camera

I liked my canon sd750 camera until it broke last week. It was only a few years old and it has the black screen of death as I call it. Doing a search it seems that a lot of people had the same issue and it is not worth fixing.
    I have been doing a lot of research and I am confused what to get. I am not picky I just want a big LCD screen, to be light, a decent zoom and clear pictures. Also I would like post processing red eye removal too and spend between $100-$200.
    I actually bought the Nikon cool pix S4100 and feel the pictures are grainy and blurry. I just don't like it and I am going to return it to the store. I was considering a Samsung camera maybe the ST65 or SH100. Or maybe I should get another Canon?? I was happy with my last one but I am pissed about it breaking so early on!!!

Any advice from you all would be greatly appreciated

thank you in advance!!!!

Re: Help need a good point and shoot camera

All pictures are grainy and blurry on those little point and shoots, at least, similarly to how that Nikon is. The Samsung certainly isn't going to do any better. If you'r dissatisfied with that grain and blur, your only real incremental improvement would be something like a Canon G12 or S95, Sony NEX, or Olympus Pen. Those are all over $400 though. Under $200, I suppose the Canon SX 130IS might fit the bill, but the image quality difference wouldn't be much.

You can only expect so much from a camera priced under $200.00 regardless of brand. In the long run you might be better off spending a bit more for your next camera.
    You can also sometimes find a very good used trade in camera for a good price at a camera store.
    Volker
    Nikon D7200
    Nikon P7100
    Nikon 16-80/2.8-4 ED VR
    Nikon 55-200 VR II

Keeping it light and simple.

I'd get the Canon SD4000.
    It's a slightly older model than the new ELPH's,
    but it's an excellent camera with an f/2.0 max aperture,
    which could help you avoid high ISO's and therefore grainy images.
    My compact digital camera guide - eyalg.com

Did you ever think of going on e-bay? I bought a small point and shoot for about $20 and I love it. Wonderfully, it has an optical viewfinder. Remember those. Am I crazy?

Thread Information