New DSLR Camera

Printable View

• 05-11-2011, 10:05 AM
    Crazysah
    New DSLR Camera
    Hello guys,

So I'm selling off my video camera. All in all, I have about $600 to spend and that can be stretched a tiny bit but I'd prefer not.
    What is the best DSLR camera that I can get in it. I'm going to be buying it anytime up until June 7th in the United States.

Bring on the suggestions.

Crazysah
  • 05-11-2011, 03:10 PM
    Photo-John
    Re: New DSLR Camera
    Since you're selling a video camera I'm wondering if the new camera is going to be primarily for video or for stills, or both? Can you tell us more about how you plan to use it so we can give you better direction?
  • 05-11-2011, 03:17 PM
    Crazysah
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Photo-John
    Since you're selling a video camera I'm wondering if the new camera is going to be primarily for video or for stills, or both? Can you tell us more about how you plan to use it so we can give you better direction?

I plan to use it mostly for stills and I plan to use it mostly outdoors and partly indoors and partly in low-light conditions.
  • 05-11-2011, 03:25 PM
    Photo-John
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Crazysah
    I plan to use it mostly for stills and I plan to use it mostly outdoors and partly indoors and partly in low-light conditions.

Perfect! My main concern was whether a digital SLR was actually the right choice. But it sounds like it is. Another question - have you looked at any cameras yet? Do you prefer one brand over another for any reason?
  • 05-11-2011, 04:37 PM
    volks
    I'm a Nikon fan, so have a look at the new Nikon d3100.
    It is very user friendly and a pretty good camera as well.
  • 05-11-2011, 05:18 PM
    Crazysah
    I've looked at quite a few cameras.

1. Nikon D3100
    2. Canon EOS Rebel T3
    3. Sony Alpha DSLR-A330
  • 05-12-2011, 06:22 AM
    volks
    I think that the three cameras are quite competitive with each other and I wouldn't choose one over the other based on quality. The Nikon D3100 has a learner's mode that guides you through the use of a DSLR, so it may be better for a beginner.
    Go to a camera store and play a little with all of them and maybe something will make you say..this is the one.
    Nikon and Canon are certainly the more popular brands.
    Good luck.
  • 05-12-2011, 09:29 AM
    Anbesol
    Actually, if "ease of use" is the most important, then the Sony SLT, with its instant exposure and wb feedback, histogram, etc. I have no doubt that the Sony SLT is the easiest and most beginner friendly of them all.

The D3100 is bested by the Sony SLT and Canon Rebel T3i, If you must consider nikon, look towards the D90, though its movie mode isn';t quite what the new ones are.
  • 05-12-2011, 01:14 PM
    OldClicker
    Quote:

I've looked at quite a few cameras.

1. Nikon D3100
    2. Canon EOS Rebel T3
    3. Sony Alpha DSLR-A330

Did you mean the Sony A330 or A33? - Terry
  • 05-12-2011, 07:40 PM
    Anbesol
    Since he said DSLR I assume the A330, but yeah, I think the A33 is likely the better option for the OP.
  • 05-12-2011, 09:25 PM
    Crazysah
    I'm not a total beginner at DSLR's. My mom had one of the first few ones and it was a Nikon and was pretty darn good.

I need one which is somewhat new (released within the past year) and is in my budget range. Video is not my priority here. Image quality is.
  • 05-13-2011, 01:38 PM
    Photo-John
    Quote:

I'm not a total beginner at DSLR's. My mom had one of the first few ones and it was a Nikon and was pretty darn good.

I need one which is somewhat new (released within the past year) and is in my budget range. Video is not my priority here. Image quality is.

There no bad digital SLRs anymore. They are all ridiculously good compared to what was available a few years ago. My recommendation would be to invest in a system you feel comfortable with and save some money on the camera body (if you can) so you can invest in a better lens. Following that strategy, buying a used, refurbished or closeout model would be the best strategy with your budget. Canon, Nikon and Sony are all great camera companies but yuo may get more for your money with Pentax or Olympus. Have you thought about buying a used camera or is that out of the question?
  • 05-14-2011, 08:26 AM
    Crazysah
    Used camera is out of the question.
  • 05-14-2011, 09:13 AM
    volks
    Since you really can't go wrong with any of your choices, go to a camera store and get your hands on all of them. Pick the one that feels just right to you.
    Down the road, as someone already suggested, lens options and selection will probably become a bigger issue.
  • 05-14-2011, 01:43 PM
    misdee
    The fact is that modern DSLR sensors out perform the kit lens , but a 50 f 1.8 will be a fantastic but inexpensive buy .
    It is so important to try before you buy - you may be fine with an electronic finder Sony A33 , or prefer a DSLR .
    A prime [ non zoom ] lens will really teach you about framing etc !

A recent test of entry level cameras using a better lens in RAW shows that results by a professional can be indistinguishable from a Pro camera - it's just extra facilities and durability that may be lacking .

I have just bought a Sony A290 , 'cos it has the same 14 meg sensor as the more expensive cameras , I don't need video or live view , so it just felt perfect for ME .
    This may be seen as downgrading from a Pentax K10d with it's metal body , weatherproofing etc , but light , compact , and a smooth , uncluttered top plate are a release from heavy and clumsy .
  • 05-15-2011, 07:21 AM
    Crazysah
    Nah. I'm not into the Sony A33. I prefer a DSLR.

I'm gonna go to Best Buy tomorrow and check them out and see how they feel. What about anyone's that came out this year?
  • 05-16-2011, 07:56 PM
    Crazysah
    Anyone else have any suggestions? Any other good camera that have recently come out?
  • 05-17-2011, 01:39 PM
    misdee
    Just a thought - some system lenses are less expensive than others .
    A 35 f 1.8 or 50 f1.8 is a great starter prime to test that sensor !
    The Nikon D 3100 is good but there are different lenses for the D3100 and the mid range models something to do with auto focusing .
    Old Minolta auto focus lenses fit the Sony .
    Honestly , it's down to personal preference - pick one up and try it out .
    Get the one you best relate to .
    This is more important than specs to me - hence downgrading to a A290 .
    It's unlikely 'cos Sony seems to be going the EVF route , but if that 16meg sensor appeard in the A200 range , I would grab one ! LOL
  • 05-17-2011, 08:13 PM
    Anbesol
    Quote:

I prefer a DSLR.
    The only difference between a DSLR and a DSLT is the DSLR has an transparent pentaprism or pentamirror built in between the light path to the sensor to reflect light coming in from the lens to an optical viewfinder above the image plane. Whereby the SLT has only one fixed transparent mirror. In every other way it is built identically to what is typical of a DSLR (APS sensor, 35mm system mount, phase detect AF, etc etc). Just to make clear the distinction.
  • 05-18-2011, 07:41 AM
    Crazysah
    Yes. I know the difference between the two. I like the choice of using the screen or the viewfinder.