Digital Cameras Forum

Digital Cameras Forum Discuss compact digital cameras or ask general digital photography questions - what camera to buy, memory cards, digital camera accessories, etc. You may also want to look at the Digital SLR forum, or the Camera Manufacturer forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital Camera Reviews >>
Digital Camera Buyers Guide >>

Thread: new to this

new to this

i am just entering college and i am entering as a photography major, i have some expirence with picture taking and so on, but i am wondering what type of camera you recomend for me

Re: new to this

What kind of photography? Doing weddings, macro, or sports takesdifferent gear. If you are doing journalistic stuff, and sports you can't miss with the original Canon 1D and if you shop around you can find them from $900-$1600. It's fast enough for sports and versatile enough for everything else.....but then you need lenses, for journalistic stuff you can use the Canon 70-200mm f2.8 USM IS for 90%. A 28-135mm will do for most of your other stuff, and there is the 50mm f1.4 for low light.

JS
    Canon 1D
    Canon 1D MK II N
    Canon 70-200mm USM IS f2.8
    Canon 200mm f1.8 USM
    Canon 300mm f2.8 USM IS
    Canon 28-300mm USM IS f3.5-5.6
    Canon 50mm f1.8
    Vivitar 19-35mm f3.5-5.6

honestly if youre a beginner id start out without an SLR and spring for something with advanced features like minoltas a200 or fujis s9000... honestly their instant versatility is awesome! plus - when you do jump up to SLR - you wont throw those away by any means! They really are an awesome way to augment your equipment - wether it be to have an additional camera at a shot, or maybe when you are hiking in the mountain - you probably wouldnt want to carry a camera and a bunch of lens! single lens reflex is great but it can be very inconvenient at times.

theres also something good to be said about sonys DSC-R1...

thanks alot ill look into them

Thread Information