Digital Cameras Forum

Digital Cameras Forum Discuss compact digital cameras or ask general digital photography questions - what camera to buy, memory cards, digital camera accessories, etc. You may also want to look at the Digital SLR forum, or the Camera Manufacturer forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital Camera Reviews >>
Digital Camera Buyers Guide >>

Question Need info from the informed

I am trying to select my first digital camera. What I want is a small P&S that has full auto and that I can turn off the flash and get good quality (for museum shots). Also quick enough for action shots. 3.2 - 5 MP, large storage, easy downloads/print, and not cheap built. But my choices are limited to the army px or a much longer wait. So far my choices are:
    Sony Cyber shot PC 72 and 92
    Cannon Power shot S 50
    Olympus (with water resistant case) 3.2 or 4 MP
    or any suggestions in that type of format

Any one of those cameras should do the job. Multiple flash modes, including flash-off, is pretty standard on compact digitals, and full auto is the default. On some cameras you'll have the option of manual exposure control, which can be nice if you run into difficult lighting or just start to grow as a photographer.

Where you might be frustrated is action photography. Most compact digital cameras still suffer from noticeable shutter-lag. I don't know how those Sonys are and I've heard that the Olympus Stylus Digital cameras are on the slow side. The Canon has their newer, faster processor so it might be a good choice. I'd try all three at the PX to get an idea of what the shutter lag is like. Also, if you haven't checked the reviews here, you should. You'll find a lot more specific information from people who've actually used each camera:

Digital Camera Reviews >>

Hope that helps. Let us know if you have more questions. We'll be here.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

I can't turn on the cameras at the PX.

Quote Originally Posted by Photo-John
    Any one of those cameras should do the job. Multiple flash modes, including flash-off, is pretty standard on compact digitals, and full auto is the default. On some cameras you'll have the option of manual exposure control, which can be nice if you run into difficult lighting or just start to grow as a photographer.

Where you might be frustrated is action photography. Most compact digital cameras still suffer from noticeable shutter-lag. I don't know how those Sonys are and I've heard that the Olympus Stylus Digital cameras are on the slow side. The Canon has their newer, faster processor so it might be a good choice. I'd try all three at the PX to get an idea of what the shutter lag is like. Also, if you haven't checked the reviews here, you should. You'll find a lot more specific information from people who've actually used each camera:

Digital Camera Reviews >>

Hope that helps. Let us know if you have more questions. We'll be here.
    the Cameras on sale the are not able to be turned on. They are corded to the rack for security reasons. the people that work there don't even speak english well or know enough about photography to get a terp. The next problem is I can not find the reviews for those cameras I looked (probally not in the correct place).

Liz

Here is a link to the Review Section for digital cameras

Hi Victor,

If you click into the link below, you will find the reviews for the 4-5mp cameras. Scroll down the page and you will see the Canon S50. To go to others, click on "O" for Olympus, etc, or just keep scrolling.

For 3mp or 3.2mp go up to the top of the review page. Click on "cameras" then choose which mp cameras you want to reviews. Any problems, just come back & ask.

http://www.pcphotoreview.com/pscCame...S_4337crx.aspx
    Liz

Quote Originally Posted by victor
    the Cameras on sale the are not able to be turned on. They are corded to the rack for security reasons. the people that work there don't even speak english well or know enough about photography to get a terp. The next problem is I can not find the reviews for those cameras I looked (probally not in the correct place).
    Last edited by Liz; 02-06-2004 at 07:40 AM. Reason: add link

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Liz
    Hi Victor,

If you click into the link below, you will find the reviews for the 4-5mp cameras. Scroll down the page and you will see the Canon S50. To go to others, click on "O" for Olympus, etc, or just keep scrolling.

For 3mp or 3.2mp go up to the top of the review page. Click on "cameras" then choose which mp cameras you want to reviews. Any problems, just come back & ask.

http://www.pcphotoreview.com/pscCame...S_4337crx.aspx
    Liz
    Well, that link is just what I needed thanks Liz.
    Now I will have to make an informed decision.

Thread Information