Digital Cameras Forum

Digital Cameras Forum Discuss compact digital cameras or ask general digital photography questions - what camera to buy, memory cards, digital camera accessories, etc. You may also want to look at the Digital SLR forum, or the Camera Manufacturer forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital Camera Reviews >>
Digital Camera Buyers Guide >>

Hmmmm which camera? Any suggestions?

Hello everyone, I'm a new member of the forums and I'm hoping I could get some good insight on which camera to purchase ! Just some background information, I absolutely know nothing about photography, the only camera I've used a simple point-and-shoot Casio Exilim x-Z35. But anyways I was thinking about entry level DSLR's, mirrorless interchangeable lens cameras, but came upon superzoom Bridge cameras, which seemed like a good category to start with and at a great price range. I liked the idea of HD video recording, decently good IQ, amazing zoom, etc. here are the ones that I'm looking at and need your guys' input on which one !

-Nikon Coolpix P500
    -Canon Powershot sx40 hs
    -Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ150
    -Sony Cybershot DSC-HX100V

I've done some research on these cameras and went to Bestbuy and tested all, but the Lumix (not in-stock), I love the feel, quality, etc. of all of them but since I have not experience in cameras, to me they all see the "same" XD! I guess some qualifications I'm looking for for my purchase are...

-Image quality (definitely the main aspect)
    -HD video recording
    -High speed recording (that mean slow-motion, correct??)
    -Built in flash, EVF, Rechargeable battery(believe they all have it)
    -Sub $450, $500 MAXIMUM, trying to budget myself since I'm a beginner
    -Good Zoom (I believe Lumix as 24x while the other 3 have 30-36x)
    -Quick shots, little time in between each picture
    -High megapixel

But yes, I know that I should choose a camera based on which I am most comfortable with and how a "good" photographer is based on of his/her skills rather than the camera and that they have all they're pros and cons, but which would you say is the OVERALL BEST?

At first I thought the Nikon P500 was the one, but I started to read more consumer comments instead of reviews and noticed that out of the three it was the "worst". I then started to research mainly on the Canon sx40 and am starting to believe that this is the one, plus a lot of reviews/comments were saying how Canon's DIGIC 5 processor is the main selling point. But then again I soon started researching more on Sony HX100V and Lumix FZ150 and now I'm getting mixed reviews of all of them. So please an input would be much APPRECIATED and any advice on photography/camera buying as well !

Also just a QUICK additional questions
    -Do all the cameras listed above have the "Panorama" ability? So websites state that they all do, some don't :/.

Thanks again for the all HELP!
    -0ptics

Re: Hmmmm which camera? Any suggestions?

I recently bought a Coolpix P500. I am more than satisfied! Astounding zoom! Good photo quality. The only camera I have to carry.

I went through much of what you are going through now. The other camera I seriously considered was the Luminix. But, Nikon is a serious name in cameras, Panasonic is a serious name in TVs and DVD players. You decide.

Good luck, Jim

Many times more research will just get you more confused.
    Seems like many have a slightly different opinion of different cameras.
    Honestly, within a certain type of camera type range, there is very little difference between popular brands.You can't go wrong with Nikon.
    Volker
    Nikon D7200
    Nikon P7100
    Nikon 16-80/2.8-4 ED VR
    Nikon 55-200 VR II

Keeping it light and simple.

If you want image quality and performance and can afford ~$400-$600, then a compact system camera is a clear choice.

Those superzooms, are point and shoots with more zoom, they are not "performance" they are the scam played on consumers who think that more zoom and bigger grip = better camera. The M43 and NEX options can be had at similar price levels and are much better in regards to performance, capability and quality.

If you don't go with a compact system camera, then clearly performance and quality isn't what you're after, in which case, between the ones listed its pretty well 6 in 1 half a dozen in the other. The difference in zoom is a lot less than those big fat numbers would lead you to believe. The Nikon and the Sony have the better quality screen... Still, those superzooms produce terrible images next to a CSC.

They all have panorama if you know how to stitch in software, otherwise, the only decent panning in camera software is done by Sony.
    - Charlie

Feel free to edit and repost my work as a part of your critique.

Quote Originally Posted by volks View Post
    Many times more research will just get you more confused.
    Seems like many have a slightly different opinion of different cameras.
    Honestly, within a certain type of camera type range, there is very little difference between popular brands.You can't go wrong with Nikon.
    Exactly! Instead of searching for more and more brands first decide what are your basic requirements for a camera and then shorten the list of brands accordingly. It will save you from getting confuse!

I think Charlie has it. Olympus, Panasonic m4/3rd or Sony Nex. I have a Next 5n and the tilting LCD really helps. Plus they are systems you can add to and upgrade easily. Even if you get used gear to get within your budget.
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

i hope you find what you need!

Thread Information