• 06-06-2008, 08:34 PM
    sheehast
    Need help to narrow down purchase
    I'm looking at getting a new digital camera and need useful unbiased input. It's mostly to photograph kids sports and other activities. Would require a good photo if at a distance on the field. Might like to have larger than normal photos (5x7 or 8x10). Something that can do in action photo's with clarity. Good Image Stabilization. Also, the occasional short movie, (with sound). Would love face recognition to make sure his face is focussed as good as possible. Heard of smile recognition? Not sure what that is but if it's what I'm thinking, why not? Unless the feature is costly.

I'm looking at; Canon S5 IS, Fuji S1000fd, Kodak Z1012 IS, Nikon P80, Pan. Lum DMC-FZ18, & Sony H50.

I don't really want to spend the 400.00 for the Sony, so I'm trying to go below that price. However I don't want to wish I had a more adequate camera in a month. I have a compact Kodak 3.2 mp point & shoot which I can use for indoors or just to have in a pocket.

I'm looking to get something that I can use to zoom in on my son from a distance, say from the stands while he is on 2nd base or lining up in football. Since zoom is a desire I assume I will need a decent Image Stabilization camera, which may discard the Fuji (unless there is some other comparable model I'm unaware of). I like the IS on the Canon, it seemed to be the most stable out of all of these, but 8 mp compared to 10, will I notice the difference? It also is 12x zoom as apposed to the 18x on the Nikon and Panasonic. It seems like most mp and zoom goes to Nikon and it's about the same price as the others, except for the Fuji which is noticeably less. I did not have every setting the same when I tested so I believe I wasn't exactly comparing apples to apples.

I just need the best picture and would like a camera that does not require me to focus like an old school camera. If ease of use is of note please inform as mom will take a lot of photos since I'm usually coaching and sometimes cannot take the pictures I would like.

Also, at a camera shop I heard something odd, to me anyway. The guy behind the case advised that the Megapixels declared size of the picture. Doesn't a megapixel reference a dot on the LCD that carries color? He tried to explain, and when I questioned him he seemed to fumble around. If I have a 10 mp camera it doesn't mean I'm printing 11x14 photos. It basically refers to the clarity doesn't it? Since it's putting more spots for color and definition in a specified space?
  • 06-12-2008, 10:30 AM
    California L33
    Re: Need help to narrow down purchase
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sheehast
    Also, at a camera shop I heard something odd, to me anyway. The guy behind the case advised that the Megapixels declared size of the picture. Doesn't a megapixel reference a dot on the LCD that carries color? He tried to explain, and when I questioned him he seemed to fumble around. If I have a 10 mp camera it doesn't mean I'm printing 11x14 photos. It basically refers to the clarity doesn't it? Since it's putting more spots for color and definition in a specified space?

A 'pixel' is shorthand for 'picture element.' Digital photos are made up of dots like a pointillist painting. The more dots, the bigger the picture you can produce without seeing them. A mega pixel is a million dots. If you've got a 10mp camera it means each picture is made of ten million dots. If you print it at 11x14 you won't see those individual dots, but you can print it at any size you want, allowing the printing software to increase or decrease the number of dots to fit the page.
  • 12-01-2008, 12:04 PM
    klaws
    Re: Need help to narrow down purchase
    Quote:

I'm looking at; Canon S5 IS, Fuji S1000fd, Kodak Z1012 IS, Nikon P80, Pan. Lum DMC-FZ18, & Sony H50
    I am thinking about getting one of the cameras quoted above, particularly the H50.
    Any advice? Thanks.