Digital Cameras Forum

Digital Cameras Forum Discuss compact digital cameras or ask general digital photography questions - what camera to buy, memory cards, digital camera accessories, etc. You may also want to look at the Digital SLR forum, or the Camera Manufacturer forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital Camera Reviews >>
Digital Camera Buyers Guide >>

Need help buying new camera..

Hello all,

I'm new to this forum and fairly new to photography but I'm looking to get a new camera slightly better than my digital point and shoot.
    I've done quite a bit of research and I cannot decide whether I should go with a top of the line point and shoot or spend the extra money and get a bottom of the line DSLR. Here are the two that I am talking about:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16830120031

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16830120207

Any advice/personal experience would be greatly appreciated
    Thanks!

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

Re: Need help buying new camera..

Looks like newegg is a good dealer.
    Which camera you get depends on how much of your life you want to invest in photography.
    Point and shoots have come a long way and can produce excellent results now.
    The dslr will give you more options and variety of what you can do. Just be aware that when you get a dslr, there will be no end to what else you'll want. The good thing is you can get it and you can go any direction you want with your photography.
    The first thing you'll notice is the lack of shutter lag. The second thing you'll notice is that you have to study to get what you want.

Welcome to the best photo forums!
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

Newegg is a fine and trusted site by myself and my friends, no problem with them.

On the cameras, depends what you want. Do you want to do more photography as a hobby, something you have a passion for? Or are you looking for a camera that will get the job done in the simplest manner possible?

A DSLR will make you work for the right results. But when you get it, WOW do the photos look awesome - the quality, clarity, lack of noise, etc.
    Even a very good point and shoot, which the S5 is, will not ever produce images as good as the best DSLR photos. But, you will probably get more photos are are usable, good pictures. You don't have as much control, the noise is considerably higher (exponentially worse at high ISOs), and the images won't be quite as crisp as a good DSLR photo. However, you gain a massively flexible zoom and ease of use.

It's a personal choice. The DSLR will cost you more money, take more time, and make you work harder for the perfect image. But the results are hugely rewarding. If you want a good camera that get the job done well, skip the details, go with the S5 - it's a great camera. If you want to take your photography to that next level, get the DSLR.

My $.02 - if you go with the XT, get it body-only and buy the 50mm F/1.8 lens. The price should come out the same as with the kit lens or cheaper, but the 50mm will produce sharper, better photos than the kit lens. Just see the many 50mm threads on this site (check the Viewfinder forum).
    Brad

Canon: Rebel XTi, 70-200 F/4L, 50mm F/1.8 II, Promaster 19-35mm F/3.5-4.5, Peleng 8mm fisheye
    Lighting: Canon 430 EXII, Quantaray PZ-1 DSZ, Sunpak 333D, D-8P triggers
    120 Film: Ricohflex Diacord TLR, Firstflex TLR, Zeiss Ikon Nettar 515/2 folder
    35mm Film: Nikon Nikkormat FT2, 35mm F/2.8, 50mm F/1.4, 135mm F/2.8

My Blog
    http://www.redbubble.com/people/bradleymiller

If you are serous do purchase XT. Note the S5 is a nice camera and you will not have to spend more funds on lenses and other accessories.
    GRF

Panorama Madness:

Nikon D800, 50mm F1.4D AF, 16-35mm, 28-200mm & 70-300mm

Talking Re: Need help buying new camera..

Welcome to the forum.

schucklak, I have to agree with Brad and the others - if you just want to capture snapshots of the family and a few scenics from holidays then P & S is the way to go, BUT, if you are going to get into this as a hobby that you want to pursue and give your creativity an outlet, then a DSLR is the route to follow. My first DSLR was an XT and it gave me superb results (great place for someone just starting into digital photography) and I have recently upgraded to a 5D and...well, what do I say...it's great. Just remember that if you do commit to the Canon DSLR, this is most likely a lifelong commitment to their equipment and accessories. :thumbsup:

In the long run, it really depends on what you want to do and where you want to go with your photography, and, maybe, even if you don't want to go a long way, the XT will still give you all the joy and satisfaction (and then some) you will ever want - just be careful that you don't fall victim to GAS (Gear Acquisition Syndrome) like so many of us here (including me).

As well, don't forget, there is more of a learning curve to a DSLR than there is to most P & S cameras - just be prepared for this. :yesnod:

Cheers, and good luck with what ever you choose...

WesternGuy

Why not look at B&H for some used stuff? Granted, used digital equipment [I]may[I] be a bigger risk than used film stuff, but they have got some very nice used 20Ds and 30Ds.

Thank you all for your input! I went to my local Best Buy to try out both of those cameras and I absolutely love the XT. It just has a much nicer feel to it and I know with a little work the pictures I take will come out a whole lot better.
    I do have a couple questions. I've heard, from here and from other review sites, the lens kit that it comes with is terrible. So how do SLR lenses work? Will any lens fit any camera? Do I need to buy a Canon lens for a Canon camera? Any recommendations for a sub $200 lens?
    Also, do you really need a add-on flash? If so, for what situations?
    Thanks!
    Last edited by shucklak; 02-27-2008 at 08:52 PM.

Thread Information