Digital Cameras Forum

Digital Cameras Forum Discuss compact digital cameras or ask general digital photography questions - what camera to buy, memory cards, digital camera accessories, etc. You may also want to look at the Digital SLR forum, or the Camera Manufacturer forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital Camera Reviews >>
Digital Camera Buyers Guide >>

Unhappy Image Problem With New Pentax 450. Feedback Please

Just purchased a new Pentax Optio 450. Took some straight on shots indoor at night with flash and functions all set at Auto. Subject was framed artwork. In all of the images areas of the picture frame's outline has a rippled effect. Can anyone tell me what's going on and what adjustments I need to make. Sure would be appreciated. Haven't had this kind of problem with a digital before.

I can't picture the problem you're describing. Can you post a sample to help us better evaluate the problem?
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Posting an Image

John,
    I tried initially but the jpg was too large to upload. I will try though.

You will notice that the bottom of the picture frame and the outline of speaker near it... are wavy rather than straight linear lines outline the image.

However, today, when natural light was coming through the windows the outline on images seemed fine.

Thanks for responding.

Alex
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by fullrun; 02-19-2004 at 07:46 PM.

A Member
    Looks like the shadow because you use the flash.

Another Sample

In case it was difficult to see the rippling effect above, I have attached another sample image... also taken with flash, indoors at night.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Those are what we call, "jaggies". They're either a result of too much JPEG compression or too little resolution. What resolution did you take the picture at? Check your camera settings and change the resolution to the highest possible and the compression or"quality" to the highest. That should get rid of the jaggies.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Quote Originally Posted by Photo-John
    Those are what we call, "jaggies". They're either a result of too much JPEG compression or too little resolution. What resolution did you take the picture at? Check your camera settings and change the resolution to the highest possible and the compression or"quality" to the highest. That should get rid of the jaggies.
    John,
    Thanks. You know I thought it had to do something with the compression of the Jpg. It looked so much like whathappens when you over sharpen a photo in Photoshop and the pixels get real compressed.

I took the sample shot at 640 x 480. There are three quality levels in the Penta Optio 450 which I assume correspond to low, medium and high. I was shooting those either at medium or high.

I did some experimenting earlier tonite and saw that as I increased the pixel ratio the "jaggies" disappeard.

What threw me was when I used my niece's Canon 1.3 megapixel camera, I never had the image problem even shooting at 640 x 480. I couldn't figure out why a superior camera 4.0 mp was giving me this problem. Can you explain that to me?

The Pentax 450 has for pixel settings: the 640 x 480, 10246 x 768, 1600 x 1200, and 2288 x 1712.

This has been real helpful.. I was concerned that there was something wrong with the camera. This has been a great introduction to the site and it's real appreciated.

Thread Information